seasickness ? re: LOs

Snowbuddy

Okay, so i just called my pedi to ask about options if DD gets seasick on the cruise next month (she will be 18 months old, so i know that really limits things). I plan on stocking up on some ginger snap cookies, and ginger ale, but wasn't sure what else i could do, i.e. if that doesn't work. they told me i could give her 1 teaspoon of liquid benadryl every 6 hours--other than knocking her out, would this serve any purpose related to the seasickness?? :confused:

Benadryl is an anti-histamine. It's properties come from it's anti-cholinergic actions.

It's actually a very useful medication. Back in the day, when you needed a prescription for Benadryl, it was also used as a cough syrup (Benylin-before they reformulated it to have DM rather than diphenhydramine)

Still... the meclizine in Bonine and Less-Drowsy Dramamine is in the same family as the active ingredient in Benadryl.

Can be used for sea-sickness but has a terrible side effect on konking you out.

If you're going on the Liberty of the Seas... I don't think you'll have to worry about sea sickness. That ship is GI-NORMOUS!

We were on the LotS last November... we were in the Western Caribbean around the same time as some hurricane. Two days after we left Labadee... Haiti got hit by the storm and it caused severe damage to the island.

We didn't feel a thing.

edit:

Oh yeah... I'm a pharmacist.

http://www.motion-sickness.org/remedies_1.php

Many antihistamines are used to treat motion sickness, but their anticholinergic properties are more useful for motion sickness rather than their antihistamine properties. They do cause drowsiness, which can be amplified by alcohol and other sedatives. Meclizine hydrochloride (brand names: Bonine, Antivert, and Dramamine) is one commonly used antihistamine for motion sickness. Meclizine hydrochloride is a histamine-receptor blocker that blocks the muscarinic receptors in the central nervous system.

Archived