Spirit-Can you use your own laptop?

Floridamom

you can use your own laptop for the wireless internet. Of course you will need a wireless card in your laptop. I think you can also rent wireless cards on the ship. I also think there is an "in cabin" connection that you can get.

The internet manager was not the most helpful.

My husband used wireless on his laptop (wireless built in otherwise they have cards you can rent) Wireless hot spots are in most of the main rooms and lobby.

However, in your room you need an ethernet cable (hook up behind your tv) The tech guy needs to come and "turn it on" which after several requests we just gave up and my husband would go to the lobby to connect.

If you can get the in room port to work, bring a long cable so you can sit on your deck and surf the web!

Also, when we were on board it took until about 10pm day one for the internet manager to "reset" the system (clearning out the previous cruise email addresses and uploading our cruise) Also, several "hot spots" were down (the pool, buffet area)

you can use your own laptop for the wireless internet. Of course you will need a wireless card in your laptop. I think you can also rent wireless cards on the ship. I also think there is an "in cabin" connection that you can get.

I have a wireless card. Is this whole ship set up for wireless Internet? Do you mean the laptop will work anywhere in the ship? By "in cabin" connection do you mean a regular modem plug?

I wonder if I will have to reprogram anything for my wireless card to work.

Anyone know what Internet packages cost on the 9 day sailing?

Thanks

look for specials, everyday there seemed to be an offer.

My husband signed up day one and got 20 free minutes. He bought a package for $100.00. I think it was for 120 minutes plus the free 20 minutes for signing up day one.

Otherwise I think it is .79 a minute (do not quote me on that!!) Also a 3.95 or 4.95 one time charge the first time you log on.

If you have a wireless card, when the internet manager gets it turned on, your PC should recognize the wireless automatically. The manager will give you a password for the wireless network and you will be set to go. Very easy, and only takes about 2 min. His hours are random and limited, so there can be a line when he is there, but again, set up is a breeze.

Most, if not all of the public rooms have a hot spot. The in cabin connection is an ethernet connection I think. I used the wireless so I am not completely sure of the in cabin connection. I agree that the internet manager was not the most helpful or friendly guy.

It's not a regular modem, flmom. It's an ethernet connection, it looks a tad wider than a modem telephone port kind but is very different. Most modern laptops have the port built in now. Below is a picture of the two. On the right is the ethernet, also known as a RJ-45. On the left is the regular phone kind most people are used to, also known as an RJ-11.

As far as wireless settings- they usually help you out with that. You may have to delete the password (also known as encryption key) to your wireless access at home or work to enter the ship one and then reenter the home or work one when you get back.

Anyone else looking into this- wireless cards are very cheap, I remember thinking how it'd be cheaper to buy one than rent one for the cruise from the ship!

rj45-rj11.gif.e47061169e6d8255a4b0826ccbf1fd64.gif

Archived