Planning your 2010 excursions

Norcal Cruiser

We are just getting back from our back to back cruises on the Millenium.We have been to Alaska 3 times and really wanted to see more of Alaska.We highly recommend the Adventure Bound tour with Steve Weber out of Juneau.It goes up the Tracy Arm Fjord to the twin Sawyer glaciers.It's a 9-10 hour tour and we loved every minute of it.We saw icebergs and waterfalls and whales.Honestly it was a major highlight of our trip.We also loved the ChilKoot Charter van tour and train in Skagway.Another don't miss 9-10 hour tour.Mike who lives in Skagway was our tour guide.He made lots of photo stops and was very informative about the area.I can't describe how awesome it was with the beautiful fall colors in the Yukon.We lucked into a beautiful fall day and again I can't praise Mike enough.So great to get a local perspective.Our second week we toured with Floyd Peterson in Icy Strait.Excellent whale watching trip with a local familiar with the area.In Juneau the second week we went out with Jay Beedle from Harv and Marvs whale watching.Another phenomenal trip.Jay has such a passion about the whales.It was a great trip.We've gone out with his best friend Pete 2 years ago and that was great too.I can't recommend them any more highly than they have been recommended before on these boards.We are celebrating our 30th anniversary so booked a lot of tours for the ocassion.Any one of them would have qualified as great.

We are just getting back from our back to back cruises on the Millenium.We have been to Alaska 3 times and really wanted to see more of Alaska.We highly recommend the Adventure Bound tour with Steve Weber out of Juneau.It goes up the Tracy Arm Fjord to the twin Sawyer glaciers.It's a 9-10 hour tour and we loved every minute of it.We saw icebergs and waterfalls and whales.Honestly it was a major highlight of our trip.We also loved the ChilKoot Charter van tour and train in Skagway.Another don't miss 9-10 hour tour.Mike who lives in Skagway was our tour guide.He made lots of photo stops and was very informative about the area.I can't describe how awesome it was with the beautiful fall colors in the Yukon.We lucked into a beautiful fall day and again I can't praise Mike enough.So great to get a local perspective.Our second week we toured with Floyd Peterson in Icy Strait.Excellent whale watching trip with a local familiar with the area.In Juneau the second week we went out with Jay Beedle from Harv and Marvs whale watching.Another phenomenal trip.Jay has such a passion about the whales.It was a great trip.We've gone out with his best friend Pete 2 years ago and that was great too.I can't recommend them any more highly than they have been recommended before on these boards.We are celebrating our 30th anniversary so booked a lot of tours for the ocassion.Any one of them would have qualified as great.

We are planning a trip on the Millenium, too. Based on the numerous tours we are planning, we can only pick one whale watching trip. Should we go with Harv and Marv in Juneau, or with Floyd in Icy Strait? Is there a difference between the two, or are they comparable? I value your opinion.

Thanks

We are planning a trip on the Millenium, too. Based on the numerous tours we are planning, we can only pick one whale watching trip. Should we go with Harv and Marv in Juneau, or with Floyd in Icy Strait? Is there a difference between the two, or are they comparable? I value your opinion.

Thanks

Go where you have the most time. It is 100% sightings for humpbacks at each location. There is frequently more to consider in Juneau, depending on your interests. OR, is there other priorities you have for Hoonah?

Go where you have the most time. It is 100% sightings for humpbacks at each location. There is frequently more to consider in Juneau, depending on your interests. OR, is there other priorities you have for Hoonah?

In Juneau, I want to go on a Glacier Trek, so I was thinking of moving whale watching to Icy Strait. Since she used the people I was considering for either Juneau or Icy Strait, I was wondering which company was better....Harv and Marv or FISHES. It sounds like the whale watching is comparable in each location. Do you have a favorite location, and a favorite tour company????

In Juneau, I want to go on a Glacier Trek, so I was thinking of moving whale watching to Icy Strait. Since she used the people I was considering for either Juneau or Icy Strait, I was wondering which company was better....Harv and Marv or FISHES. It sounds like the whale watching is comparable in each location. Do you have a favorite location, and a favorite tour company????

These are both, well established vendors with consistant raves about their tours. Withe your other plans in Juneau , then go whale watching out of Hoonah.

Budget Queen...I know these are recommended over and over on these boards.I've been on here for years.I also know there are new cruisers who appreciate recent information on these tours and don't use the search mode.I was just trying to be helpful.This was our 4th Alaska cruise and our best so far.I also know you don't recommend cruising in September due to the weather.In the interest of fairness we have only cruised in September and our weather has been 75% fantastic.I only get two weeks a year of vacation and don't have the luxury of cruising multiple times of the year.I was just trying to be helpful.

Thanks. I actually do the search, but rarely is there someone out there that can compare the two tours and tell me which is better. Most people have taken one or the other....not both. I love to hear from people who had the opportunity to do both. To that point: What is the difference between the two Whale Watching tour? Harv and Marv (Juneau) and Floyd from FISHES (Icy Strait)........any differences??????

We loved both tours but if we had to pick one it would be Harv and Marv.Floyd aka FISHES in icy strait knows exactly where the whales will be in Icy Strait.You will definitely see whales on this tour.They will be hanging out at Point Adolphus.Floyd is half Tlingit Indian born in Juneau and raised in Icy Strait.He has a wonderful boat and I'm starting to wonder why I would pick one over the other.We had a great trip with Floyd , he picked us up right where he said he would he was super knowledgeable about the area.We thoroughly enjoyed it.We have gone out with Harv and Marv twice now.Greatly enjoyed both tours.First with Pete second with Jay.Loved both trips.We saw whales both times.Pete is passionate about whale watching and Jay is PASSIONATE about whale watching.I think that was the difference for us.Hope it helps.Any one of the tours I would highly recommend.

Archived