Splendor gets a storm and parasailing incident with independent

Caro C

Hola all. Just wanted to report that the day started off great for the Splendor with nice weather but some clouds off in the distance. The clouds got alittle closer but more towards San Jose to the East. I was on the pier and overheard the guests who were booked on parasailing through the ship being told their tour was cancelled at about 10:10 and they would get a full refund to their account onboard because winds were picking up. Some asked "WHY?" since there were some other companies out in the bay still parasailing.

Then there was a change of wind direction and the storm blew West right over the bay. Heavy rains, blasting winds...at about 10:30 am. And the line broke on one of the boats still out parasailing! The chute had 2 people on it and the strong winds were blowing it directly over the channel and when the female and male passenger fell and landed in the water. The parasailing guests who had been told 20 minutes earlier their tour was cancelled for their safety were standing there watching as the man hit the water less than 50ft away from them - I overheard one of them say they were lucky they had spent the extra money and booked the tour through the ship. The people who had the accident had bought it with someone selling outside the pier along the sidewalk...one of those companies who does not have insurance and choose to continue to fly guests in unsafe weather.

Sounds like September is going out with a bang. Our first trip to Cabo was in September 2002 and we spent a week at Pueblo Bonito Blanco. We had some good days and some not so good days, but all in all it was a great vacation. We were in a ground floor Presidential corner unit facing the ocean and right next to the pool. Could not have been better. Well, except for the fact that we fell in love with Sunset Beach and have been owners there ever since.

I guess there really is a reason why Mexicans call para-sailing "Dope On A Rope".

Hey don't get me wrong...I love parasailing here. But I also love my life so I am picky when making choices. I have always felt safe parasailing here but I sure can't say that about driving on the streets! Just because someplace is cheap doesn't mean that they are ok or looking after your best interest. Just like hiring a contractor to do work on your home...would you hire the cheapest one just because of price? Let's just put it this way...I will never go parasailing with that independant company that flew those people and I won't eat tacos that are 2 for $1.00 because neither one offer a quality product.

It was a freek little storm.....we were in the tender line to get off the ship 10 people away from getting off the ship when they canceled the tender service for a couple hours.....we just headed to the covered pool on the ship and made the best of it.....we have been to Cabo before and most of Cabo is the view and we got it anyway.....Our friends who hadn't been before got off on the first tender after the storm and they only had 45 minutes to shop.....

Rick

I must have been standing right by you Rick.

We decided to get out of that line waiting a few minutes before they finally put a halt to the tenders. My girl and I went to the aft pool and sat in the jacuzzi throughout the whole rain storm. It was great!

I couldn't believe there were still those who tendered in for a whole half hour or so before having to come back.

That boat that broke it's line with the parasailers also sunk, it got swamped from the waves.

Caro,

What do you know about Ozzie's? We've used them before, and had planned on parasailing with them again when we're down there via cruise ship in December.

Jen

I haven't seen them out...but come to think of it there are several boats that seemed to have disappeared and a few new names popped up. But I will try to ask manana and post what info I get. I have a meeting with the port captain and will ask him. The name of the company who flew these people started with CHILAN and ended with GO's. They have a booth along the sidewalk right by the tender pier and also sales on Medano.

Archived