Black Sand Beaches Near Hilo

spaceflower77

Hey cruisers! My family and I are going to Oahu in January and staying on Sunset Beach (North Shore). My son (9) has been obsessed with volcanoes, helicopters and black sand beaches for several years so I am going to fork out the extra $$$ and fly with him to Hilo and probably do a Blue Hawaii heli tour (I found a $189 online price for an hour volcano/waterfall tour, which is the best I've seen so far). I need to know several things, as we'll just fly in for the day and back out that evening... 1) should we do the heli tour first thing and then go to the beach or vice versa? 2) which black sand beach is nearest and what is the most cost effective way to get there??? I don't mind buses, I just want to keep the cost down on this massive day trip. Is Kehena beach nearer to the airport and can you swim there at all? What about snorkeling near the airport. My son would love to see a black sand beach, but he also likes to snorkel -- is there a beach we could do both, or a good snorkeling beach near Kehena? (Is Kehena even nearer to the airport than Punalu'u)? Thanks! This is all new to me. Any advice will be much appreciated!

Wow - most people don't know about Kehena Beach. It's certainly not advertised much. Anyway, your questions in order.

First, you can often find a HNL-ITO flight that leaves as early as 6 AM, and return flights after 8 PM. That will give you a LOT of time in Hilo and environs!

Advice: Copter ride as early as possible. Mornings are often the least cloudy time. It's that simple. Plus, getting the heli ride out of the way gives you a large block of time without having to head back to Hilo halfway through your day.

Getting around after: Rent a car for the day. Convenient, not that expensive and - most importantly - maximizes the amount you can do in a day trip. Considering the flights, copters, etc., spring for a compact for the day.I don't think there is public transportation that would fit your needs, and a taxi fee would make you faint. Rent a car!

Snorkel beach near Hilo. No. There are some tidepools in Puna that some folks praise for snorkeling, but contrast with what most visitors would consider a snorkel beach... no.

As far as Kehena... yes, it is MUCH closer to the airport than Punaluu. Punaluu is about 60 miles, Kehena is about 24 or so. Do I recommend Kehena? Eh... yes and no. The last time I was there (a few years now) it was clothing optional. It also seemed to be sanity optional, but in a friendly way. If the chance of seeing a derriere or other normally covered body part is distressing, just be aware. Swimming there? Usually not, but if the conditions are good then it's possible. Just sit and watch for a while, see if others are swimming. Odds are it won't be good for swimming, but every now and then it's rather calm.

If your child is volcano and black-sand crazy (sounds like a fine chap to me!) I would suggest after the copter ride to head to Kilauea quickly to see Halemaumau etc from the ground. Then backtrack to Keeaau and head to Puna. He might see (conditions vary) the steam plume in the distance from the ocean entry, and all the other cool sites of Puna including Kehena.

FYI, we've done sort of the same thing from Maui to Hilo on occasion, and it's amazing how much you can squeeze into your time. Just do the copter first and you'll have many hours left to enjoy the sights.

Thanks! We will definitely do that... I'll look into renting a car for the day, too. Maybe we can check out Kehena and if it's not what we're looking for go on to Punaluu -- a few naked people don't scare me, my 9 yr old would probably just think it was really funny. Hopefully if we get there relatively early it won't be crowded with crazy naked people! :)

Can you tell me more about the tidepools in Huna? Even if the snorkeling isn't great is the swimming safe? ... maybe we could just play on the Kehena beach for a while and then go to a better swimming beach. My 9 year old is by no means a fantastic snorkeler, it's just something he enjoys... he snorkeled for hours in Cozumel at Nachi Cocum and there wasn't much to look at but a sandy bottom and a bunch of shells to find ;)

Thanks so much for all the great information! I really just want to make the day SO much fun for him.

Neither Kehena or Punaluu are good for swimming. Kehena is about an hour's drive from the airport and requires a hike down a rather steep rock cliff to access the beach....hence the clothing optional aspect. It is not a snorkeling beach. Punaluu is more of a place to take pictures of turtles. It is not a swimming beach. The best black sand beach for snorkeling is very close to the airport. It is Called Richardson's beach Big Island Hawaii - Richardson Beach Park

I really think that after the helicopter ride, you would want to drive up to Volcanoes Nat'l Park and tour around a bit. Then, perhaps drive down to Punaluu (about another 30 mile drive sounth) for the Kodak moment at that picturesque black sand beach. After that, if time permits, you could head back to Richardson's Beach.

There is also a "new" black sand beach in Kalapana (about 45 minute drive from the airport.) Again, it is not safe for swimming, but is accessed by a fun hike over a very recent lava flow. From here you can usually see the large steam plumes from the current lava entries into the ocean. Of course, this changes daily. Right there, where you park for the 10 minutes hike to the new black sand beach, is a nice little place for a snack or lunch.

The tidepools in Puna can be fun for snorkeling, but there is no black sand beach to be seen there. Have fun whatever you decide to do.

Thanks, Kapoho -- this is all really helpful! I will definitely have to check out Richardson beach, esp. since it is nearby... Kalapana sounds fun, too, depending on time. Does anyone have anything to say about Ponds, a restaurant on stilts over the water... would that be a good lunch idea with my 9 year old (who is generally really well behaved)... I read it was built over a popular swimming area and you could feed fish while you eat. He would get a kick out of that. But is it anywhere near where we'll be?

Also... I have heard about some beautiful waterfalls on Hawaii, but Oahu doesn't really have many. Are there any good waterfall areas near Hilo and can you swim near any of them or play in the water? Are there any that don't require long hikes? He'd be up for 10 minutes or maybe 15, but that would be about it... If not, I'm sure he'll be okay with volcanoes and black sand beaches!

I love the idea of him being able to swim/snorkel AT the black sand beach. We'll be staying on Sunset Beach in Oahu for a week, and he'll get a chance to see surfers, great waves and I know of several great calmer beaches there... but this is the one day he can really enjoy the black sand beaches and the volcanoes and after talking about them for two years I want him to be able to just soak it all up! This is going to be his favorite day EVER!!! :)

I am going to Hawaii for the first time this Fri and I am about as excited as your son. Look at the info on Rainbow and Akaka Falls. Rainbow is about in the city of Hilo. Akaka is a 442ft and Google Maps has it at 16 miles from Hilo. Sounds like both can be seen with a very short walk. The only thing is that it is the other direction from Volcano NPS and the black beach. Our plan is the falls, NPS and the beach only if there is time. We won't swim-Just look at the beach and hopefully turtles.

http://www.bigisland.org/parks/223/akaka-falls-state-park

One thing to consider to maximize time is to not do a restaurant for lunch. IF this is your nine-year old's day (you are a great parent, btw!) then let him do a fast food somewhere, or munchies at a gas station. I just think that taking an hour + for a nice restaurant would not be high on a 9-year old's to do list. The way I see it, if you can take an appox 8 AM chopper flight you can be done with it and in a rental car from Hilo by 10, at the HVNP by 11, enjoy the stuff there for a few hours, maybe grab munchies in Volcano village and head to PUnalu'u. You could be sort of finished with that at 4-ish,hen maybe on the way back take a side trip to Kalapana. Take as late a flight back as possible and you wouldn't have to be back at the airport until 7 or so, which is after dark in January.

Worry about the nice restaurant the next day.

Oh, it's not about a "nice" restaurant... My 9 year old actually LOVES food (it's his favorite part of taking a cruise, actually -- though this trip we're not cruising, we're staying in Oahu) -- this place looked fun because it's open air seating over a clear pool where you can feed fish and watch people swim... I just thought it might be fun. We could totally pack a picnic and bring a cooler (esp. if we rent a car). And I usually do that at home. I just thought it might be a fun thing to do in Hilo if it's a laid back neat place... if it's truly upscale it's not on my to do list, though -- Ponds is owned by the same people who own Kens Pancake House -- so I thought it would have a great atmosphere and reasonable prices. Maybe an opportunity for him to try something new (and feed fish from his table -- which is always fun). But it will, of course, take some time, (though hopefully less than an hour!) so I wonder a)where it is and b)is it worth it?

If not I'll bet there are some amazing places to have a picnic -- we're in HAWAII after all! :) I really need to map stuff out and figure out how to meximize my time and fit in "must do's" -- speaking of...

Is Punalu'u really a "must do" -- it sounds like there are black sand beaches nearer to Hilo and we can see the sea turtles in Oahu (there's a great place near the North Shore where we'll be staying) -- but since I've never seen any black sand beaches anywhere... what are your thoughts?

I am definitely going to check out Richardson Beach since it's black sand AND we can swim and snorkel there! :)

and thanks, Sceptic, for the "great parent" comment, but I AM taking him out of school for this trip -- some of our fellow cruise fans would guilt trip me for that one, say I should do it during school breaks ;) -- Frankly, I am all for taking them out of school in order to do something educationally ASTOUNDING -- such as seeing an active volcano, black sand beaches, riding in a helicopter, seeing Pearl Harbor, being encompassed in the Hawaaian culture, seeing whales (since we'll be there in January it will be whale season), and etc. ;) Aside from that my grandparents met in Hawaii, got married and had their first child before moving back to Oklahoma where they settled -- we lost my grandmother in June (my grandfather years before) and her wish was that they be taken back to Oahu... there's no way I'd let him miss this trip. We're going over her birthday, and my Aunt's, who was born in Hawaii and has never been back -- she'll be celebrating her 60th b day. This is really going to be a fantastic trip. I hope it's riddled with Grandma memories. I just wish she were really here to tell us her stories. And I wish she were here so Jack could tell her all about his volcano trip... she'd get a kick out of that.

Honestly, I would skip Punaluu after hearing all the fun possibilities you are considering on your day trip. After touring Volcanoes Nat'l Park, I would head back down toward Hilo for lunch and some snorkeling.

Ponds restaurant is very laid back....as is everything in Hilo. Shorts and t-shirt are fine for anyone. The menu prices are typical....approx. $10 for a hamburger and fries and other lunch type stuff.

Richardson's Beach, Ponds and the airport are all within about 3-4 miles of each other. VNP is approx. 40 minute, easy drive up Hilo. If you do plan on packing a cooler for a picnic lunch, I would stock up in Hilo for sure. Once you get out of Hilo, gas stations are few and far between!!

Thanks, Kapoho, that all sounds really easy and just great. If we bring a cooler I'll just pack it in Oahu that morning and carry it on, since I won't have any luggage anyway ;) Were there any waterfalls in the Hilo vicinity around where we'll be? I know there are several breathtaking ones on the big island, we'll probably see some from the Helicopter, but are there any nearby we could drive to, perhaps for a picnic spot?

Honestly, I would skip Punaluu after hearing all the fun possibilities you are considering on your day trip. After touring Volcanoes Nat'l Park, I would head back down toward Hilo for lunch and some snorkeling...

Are there any black sand beaches along the 137 outside of Pahoa? DW & I haven't been in that area for about 15 years, so the memory is a little cloudy. We were in Punaluu in 2001, and IIRC, it's quite a drive from Hilo. Turtles were nesting in July when we were there. VERY beautiful place, but WAY too much surge to swim/snorkel.

Rt. 137 has lots of fun stuff to do. Ahalanui Warm Pond is on Rt. 137, as is Kehena Beach which is mentioned earlier in this thread. Also, the "new" black sand beach (also mentioned earlier in this thread) is at the very end of Rt. 137. If you drive to Lava Tree State Park on Rt. 132, and then turn onto Rt. 137, you can take 137 (aka the Red Road) all the way to the new black sand beach in Kalapana. This is one of the most beautiful drives on the Big Island.

... The best black sand beach for snorkeling is very close to the airport. It is Called Richardson's beach Big Island Hawaii - Richardson Beach Park...

Thanks, kapoho, for the info on Richardson's. DW and I are planning a (non-cruise) trip to Hawaii - haven't been since 2001. We'll probably spend a few days in Waikiki (see DW's family), a few nights in Kona and a few in Hilo.

Any recommendations on mid- to up-scale restaurant in Hilo?

Mahalo!

One Pidgin kine haole.

Noooooo.....Reread the posts above. Richardson's is about a 45 minute drive from the "new" black sand beach in Kalapana. There is a reason why they call this the BIG island!!

My bad! I thought Richardson's WAS the "new" black sand beach... THANKS for clearing that up! ;) We'll probably end with Richardson's since it is right by the airport.

• 1 month later...
Thanks, kapoho, for the info on Richardson's. DW and I are planning a (non-cruise) trip to Hawaii - haven't been since 2001. We'll probably spend a few days in Waikiki (see DW's family), a few nights in Kona and a few in Hilo.

Any recommendations on mid- to up-scale restaurant in Hilo?

Mahalo!

One Pidgin kine haole.

Okay, I JUST clicked on Kapoho's link for Richardson's beach and I am SO excited. (Sorry about this older thread, it's been a helluva month)! I am thinking we will arrive early, do our Volcano helicopter tour, come back to the airport and grab a cab to take us to Ponds restaraunt and then to Richardson's. If these are all relatively close I shouldn't need to rent a car and hopefully the cab fare won't be exorbitant. This will also give us plenty of time to snorkel. I think I'd rather do that, and do it well, then try to fit everything else in... like VNP which could take a day or two on it's own... maybe we'll just have to come back sometime ;)!

JMO but I think you do need to rent a car. Cab fare will cost way more than a compact car for the day. I have a compact booked with Avis for one day which totals $35.87. ( we leave two weeks from today!!!!!!) Try discounthawaiicarrentals.com.

Also I think it would be a mistake to skip going to VNP after your helo tour. See link to a drive guide. If son likes volcanoes as much as you say he does he will love walking through a lava tube etc.

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/drives/bigisle/volcano.htm

Do the 8:00 am helo, drive to VNP, Then later in afternoon swing to Akaka falls etc or Richardsons if you absolutely have to go to a beach. Hilo side is not really known for snorkeling, you would need to be on Kona side for that. Try Ponds then for dinner prior to airport. Look on the above drive guides for north of Hilo for dierections to some Falls. I have these directions printed out for each island.

Have fun whatever you decide.

That is a great link -- I didn't realize what all in entailed and it looks like we can do the drive and a few stops along the way in about 4 or 5 hours, leaving enough time to do Richardson's, though not thoroughly... I will talk to Jack about it and see what he'd rather do -- this is really about what he wants and I'm just going to enjoy all of it with him. He is SO excited! :) Thanks for all of your great information!!!

[ I will probably have to rent a car in Oahu, too (any good links for that one)? ;)

Not sure if you were asking me that question? and do you mean links for car rentals or a drive guide for Oahu? That same AlternateHawaii website has drive guides for each of the islands. I have one (or two or three,) printed out for each island. We are doing the NCL cruise so will be renting a car on every island. Hoping these drive guides will help us get to all the not to be missed places with a minimum of getting lost and bickering about directions. Or heaven forbid getting so lost we miss the ship. lol

Archived