Quick Review of Mariner trip 9/13/09

vtxriders

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Embarkation -

• Quickest and easiest ever. Took a cab to the pier. Arrived at 11 AM on ship by 11:20 AM.
  • Printed the luggage tags from the e-docs, laminated and attached to our own luggage and avoided the line for the tags. Grabbed a porter at the pier, dumped off our luggage with them and headed right through the line.

Condition of Ship -

• Last trip on Mariner 3 years ago. I believe that it is starting to show its age (carpet, walls, etc). However, it is still a beautiful ship and always VERY clean.

Room -

• Booked our 1st Aft cabin (not a suite). It was a corner aft cabin ( Cabin 9390) and the view off the back was GREAT at all times.

As for all of the negative things you hear about the aft cabins, here is my take (most were no big deal)

• There was very little air movement and yes, it was hot. But, so was the top deck until our last day at sea.
  • There was ash every morning but it wasn't like I couldn't take a towel and clean it off.
  • The walk - didn't bother me but my husband didn't think it was worth it.

Would I book another? Most definitely for an Alaskan or mediterranean cruise or if the cost was less than a regular balcony on any other cruise. For me, it really just was't worth the extra money.

Food -

• MDR was as good as always. Portions were smaller than previous cruises but you can always get more.
  • Windjammer was as good as a buffet can be. The only thing that really annoyed me was at breakfast. You could have a juice, milk or coffee and you would have 3 or 4 people continuously asking if you would like something else to drink (even if your glass or cup was full).
  • Portofinos - Fantastic as always!

Entertainment -

• RCCL Singers and Dancers were terrible (both singing and dancing) and the productions did not live up to our previous experiences. However, I do fully believe that the production shows are consistently better on the smaller ships than the newer larger ships.
  • Ice Show - Finally decided to experience this for the 1st time and were glad we did. Very impressed! No tickets were needed at any of the shows. We waited until the last show and walked in just 10 minutes before show time and had no trouble finding seats.
  • Quest - Never to be missed. You expect some of the antics from the younger people but the older people were an absolute hoot on this trip.
  • Headliners - There were 4 different comedians on this trip. Most were fairly good. The only show we just did not like was the late night adult comedian. He was funny in the primetime show but just stupid for the adult show.

Excusions - We did not book anything though the ship.

• Cabo - Just walked aound and ate at Taco Loco and Soloman's Landing. Both very good.
  • Mazatlan - Signed up for a Tolley Tour at the pier. Very good! Lunch at Arrabiata's - best shrimp ever!
  • Puerta Vallarta - Took a cab to old town. Walked the Malacon and old town. Stopped in the cathedral and flea market.

I agree with other posters who have stated that the street vendors are worse on this itinerary than any others. I do not believe that one person took 'no thank you' as an answer the 1st time. They always wanted to show you something else or make sure you knew the price. Did I let it ruin my vacation like some have stated - NO!

Disembarkation - Also easiest ever

• Tried the Exress for the first time and carried our own luggage off. We were off the ship by 8:15. Will definitely do again.

I am on Mariner two weeks time.

Thank you this has been most helpful for all things important.

We are planning to do similar things on excursions to you. Will probably just go for a walk or taxi around. Might even just stay on the ship. A half empty ship when at point is often very appealing.

Thing that sounds most appealing is the embarkation.

Thank you for the review

Did you get to see either of the parades? How are they on the Mariner of the Seas?

We made a it a point to avoid the Promanade during the parades. Have seen them before, too crowded and not really our cup of tea.

the trolly tour in mazatlan

how long was it?

how much was it?

where did it pick up?

and at what time?

thanks ian

It left from the pier about 10:00 AM and lasted about 5 hours (later tours were shorter). If I recall correctly, it was about $30.

We just booked a aft JS 7692. now I am second guessing.

more on trolly tour please.

How was MTD ?

I highly recommend trying the Aft cabin and makin up your own mind. I can't say I didn't like it just not sure it was work the extra money for me on this itinerary. I will say that it was better on the way back since it was cooler out and the sunrise coming up over the baja coast is not to be missed.

We did not try MTD. We have always enjoyed meeting our table mates.

The trolley tour stopped for a little shopping in old town, drove along the Malecon, stopped for the cliff divers, stopped at the flea market and cathedral and then headed to the Golden Zone. In the golden zone everyone had their choice of going to a resort and enjoying the beach, going shopping or going w/ the driver and guide for lunch. We chose lunch and were very pleased. Best food we had on the entire trip.

Thank you for the review

Did you get to see either of the parades? How are they on the Mariner of the Seas?

We were on the Mariner in October out of Port Canaveral and the parades were great! Lots of people but very enjoyable. On Halloween the parade was FANTASTIC! Many people brought unbelievable costumes and it was an unforgettable experience. Hope you enjoy your trip! We have booked another Mariner cruise in May and can't wait! :o

Archived