Trouble finding room in NO 1/28

Angiem

Try some of the hotels near the airport or in the Metairie area. They don't book up for Mardi Gras as much as the downtown/French Quarter hotels do.

As far as parking goes: the lot adjacent to the cruise terminal is closed. A multi-stort garage is being built in its place. That has caused some congestion and delays. I heard about the following option. From posts by people who have used it, it works very well:

http://www.machupicchutours.com

Click on the cruise transportation icon.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem one year. Someone suggested I try turbotrip.com. I did, and they still had rooms available when everyone else - including the hotels when I called them directly - said they were sold out. It's worth a try.

There may be a few rooms left in Slidell (north of N.O. via I-10). Try the Oak Harbor area. It is the last exit in Slidell before crossing Lake Pontchartrain into New Orleans. The next exit would be Old Spanish Trail, and that's only about 1 mile farther north from Oak Harbor. It's about a 45 minute drive to the Julie St. Wharf on a weekend, but with Mardi Gras, the drive time is unknown since it could slow to hours once you are in the city with parades and the associated traffic. Good luck!

There are several Mardi Gras parades (at noon, 1 and 6 PM) Saturday, Jan. 29, that may affect you getting to the port, so it would be my advice to get to the port early--at least by 10 AM so hopefully you will miss all the parade traffic. If you need to check another day to see when/where parades will be running in the N.O. area, check this site: http://www.nola.com/mardigras/parades/index.ssf?/mardigras/parades/content/daycal.html

It provides parade times, and if you click on the parade name, it will give you a map of the parade route.

Hope this helps!

Archived