Island Escape - View from Cabins ??

Hello All,

I am both new to this forum and cruising..... ( I think I may have posted this on the wrong forum yesterday - so I am re-posting on this forum today)

Anyway, I have a question that I hope someone can answer or advise me on.

I have booked the Western Horizons cruise from Oct 27th, neither my wife or I have cruised before but as it is our Ruby Wedding Anniversary on Nov 1st it seemed like a good time to try a cruise.

I wanted to make sure we had a sea view from the cabin and Ihave paid to upgrade to a "Premier Cabin" However when I look at the deck Plan I see that these cabins are only on decks 8 and 9 and it looks to me as though if I am on deck 9 there will be a lifeboat outside my window ? am I reading the plan correctly ?? I only booked last week so I assume that the best cabins at this grade will be allocated on a first come basis.

thanks in advance for any help

regards

WT

:confused:

Prynhawn da WT.

I'm Berwyn and up il Lllandudno.

If you are on deck 8 you will be fine for the view as the lifeboats are just over your head.

If you've got one on deck 9 you might have a bit of an obstructed view. Didn't the TA ask if you wanted to prebook a cabin when you booked.?

The only thing with deck 8 is that these is a small promenade deck there and you will get people passing outside your window.

But from our last experience on her you really only need the window for daylight, it helps keep your brain a bit orientated knowing the time of day it is.

For the best views go up to the Lookout bar right up the top. We spent ages up there sitting and relaxing with a drink last time.

We're back on her in December with our sons we enjoyed her so much last time.

Berwyn

I would book a specific cabin if I were you...you should have been given the number to ring...think its £35 to book and they will be able to tell you whether it has obstructed view or not....don't discount a promenade deck cabin that's what we normally have on Spirit and Celebration as its nice just to walk outside on deck....people walking past is not a problem as there will be net curtains so they can't see in.!

I've had a look at the deck plan now and realise that there isn't a wrap around Promenade deck so it won't be that busy....In your situation I would definitely book a specific cabin and tell them that you don't want an obstructed view then your mind will be put at rest !!!

Morning Jenny,

Yes it's just a straight up and down the deck on both sides.

The only other problem to consider now is now that IE is non smoking indoors the outside deck on deck 8 is one of the designated smoking areas.

Here's a site Pujro posted with a better deck plan view than on the Thomsons web site

http://www.virginholidayscruises.co.uk/island-cruises/island-escape/deck-plans.php

Berwyn

Hi there Berwyn...usually smoking is only allowed on one side or the other on the outside decks...and the smokers usually congregate outside the doors or at the outside bar areas...

It may be that the lifeboats on Deck 9 don't actually block the windows...often the tops of them are level with the bottom of the window...in the brochure it doesn't actually say that those cabins have an obstructed view!

Hi WT,

he should be able to sort out your cabin for you with Thomsons.

Not long to go now for you, have a great time and let us know how you get on.

If you want info on what to do in the Canaries There is a thread on here from the people who did the Colourful Coasts last year on the Celebration.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=847502&highlight=hoho

Berwyn

Thanks for those links Berwyn, they were most useful, :) I will certainly let you all know about the cruise when I return.

Although the links covered many of the ports on our Itinerary there are a few that were not covered as this seems to be an unusual cruise ( re-positioning to the Canaries for the winter ??)

Any way I don't suppose any would have any info or suggested links for Casablanca and Malaga would they ?? and one last question .....how far from the marina in Cartagena does the ship birth ?? ( I have been to Cartagena and the marina but I can not re-call seeing any cruise ships !)

When we were in Casablanca we did a trip to the King Hassan Mosque which was really amazing, we had a really good guide who explained all the rituals which I found really interesting. he also pointed out the interesting bits of the city....I don't think I would have gone independently here.

Malaga is easy to wander around independently... just walk out of the port and across the road and you're in town.....I'd do a bit of research on it as there is a train ride from here to a nice village that I've heard of and thought we might do on our next visit.

I know nothing about Cartagena.....

• 2 weeks later...

Bora da Berwyn and good morning Jenny, just a quick line to update you, following your recent advice I did visit the TA and I tried to reserve a specific cabin. unfortunately it would appear that this can only be done 16 days or more prior to the cruise. Yep......you have probably guessed by now that there were only 15 days left at that time !!

Never mind, I'll see what the fickle finger of fate has in store for me :)

Morning WT,

Less than a week to go now exciting :D

Don't worry too much about view from the cabin, it's the daylight that's more important so your brain knows where it is.

You shouldn't be in it much anyway apart from sleeping; not unless you're doing that 12 hour excursion to Marrakech :eek:

Best place to sit and enjoy the views is up in the Lookout Bar.

Don't forget your foreign electric plug adaptors and an extension lead with 4 plugs on it

Have a great time

Berwyn

Archived