Vegan/Vegetarian Dining on Emerald or Caribb.

AlanR2

I am searching for a family vacation. My son & sig. other are strict vegans. Does anyone know the nature of vegetarian dining on either of these vessels? It will make the vacation a laot more enjoyable.

Thanks,

AR

I know that there are always vegetarian options at all meals but whether they are vegan or not, I don't know. I would imagine not. I don't know if you can request strictly vegan options or not but you could contact Princess ahead of time. I know they can accommodate many different dietary preferences.

On boarding day meet with the maitre d' (the time and place is listed in the Patter). Explain your dietary requirements and if opting for anytime dining, request a table table assignment that will remain unchanged throughout the cruise.

At the first evening meal ask your waiter to have the headwaiter stop by your table. Explain to the headwaiter your wants, needs, and desires.

The headwaiter will bring the next day's menu to you each night and if there are not entrees that meet your needs, he will arrange for the galley to make special meals for you.

Of course, ask nicely (do not demand) and develop a rapport with the headwaiter and your wait staff. The better your rapport, the better service you will get. It always is nice to show your appreciation at the end of the cruise too.

I'd also suggest you contact Princess before you cruise to let them know of your party's dietary restrictions. The headwaiter and maitre d' will do their best to ensure there are vegan options available at every meal in the main dining room, and the staff at the buffet should be able to point out vegan options there (though they might not always understand what vegan means, so this method is less trustworthy!) But if you let Princess know ahead of time, they MIGHT do more to ensure there are extra vegan options for you... I know that Celebrity does this (or at least they did a few years ago...) but am not sure about Princess. We've never had any trouble finding plenty of vegetarian choices, but strict vegan will be a bit tougher.

The Vegans traveling with you should use their cruise personalizer to indicate that they are Vegans. Princess definitely knows the difference between Vegans and vegetarians.

The suggestions to meet with the maitre d' is spot on. Your headwaiter(s) will provide the menus each night so you can select.

Princess does an excellent job providing these special meal.

My husband is an ovo-lacto vegetarian. As vacations go, cruising is one of the most vegetarian friendly in our experience. Though there are always vegetarian options on the regular menu, they are not always vegan. Our experience is that they will totally accomodate you and make sure you get something good to eat at every meal. Also, the buffet is always a good option - there are so many choices there, you can always find things to eat that don't contain meat, dairy or eggs. If you are uncertain what it contains, our experience is there is always someone close at hand to ask, if they don't know, they'll ask in the kitchen.

My Vegan SIL was with us on the CB in July and had a wonderful time and many wonderful meals. We did have traditional dining, she registered on the personalizer and sent a detailed list of foods to Princess. She also gave this list to the maitre d' on boarding and to our head waiter. As mentioned they would bring her the menu for the next night and she would see what could be adapted and what could not. Many of the vegetarian dishes had cheese and some could be adapted and others could not. Many of the soups were O.K. and breads were O.K. They brought her the wrapper from the margarine they were using and it was O.K. too and each night they had an individual dish of it for her at the table. She would start each dinner with a large personal salad and always had oil and vinigar available as a dressing. She enjoyed many bean and lentil dishes but her favourite was the fried tofu. She requested it a few more times and they were glad to accommodate her. There was always a flavoured sherbet available for dessert. She generally ate breakfast in the dining room where she had to request dry toast and peanut butter and fresh fruit was always available. For lunch she never had a problem at the buffet finding veggies and fruits. One day she asked for a pizza without cheese at the pizza bar and they were happy to make one for her.

I know before going she was a little apprehensive and wondered about taking some of her own food with her but she was very well fed and we all enjoyed finding out what was going to be on tomorrow night's menu.

Archived