Jewel of the Sea 6 night Western Caribbean

Hi all...

I am cruising for the first time January 23 out of Fort Lauderdale. We are supposed to hit Key West, Cozumel, Costa Maya, George Town (Grand Cayman). I have soo many questions i'll try to condense them and please feel free to answer any and all of them. Anything is appreciated. My husband and I are 23 & 24. Any tips or hints or excursion advice would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has been on a Cruise on the Jewel of the Sea I would like any advice as to what to bring or be aware of. I am also not sure of what clothing to bring? Do we need one formal outfit for dinner, or formal outfits for every night? What do people usually wear on cruise ships? Ok..I guess thats all for now. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks again.

For now I will be hitting the gym twice a day and working on my tan (I live in Sacramento so tanning beds are a must).

Your travel agent should be able to tell you if there are 1 or 2 formal nights. For these nights you will need a formal outfit. Your husband will need a dark suit or a tux. He can wear the same outfit twice if there are 2 formal nights. The other nights will either be casual or smart casual. This is slacks and a sport shirt for him and slacks and a nice top for you. You can also wear a dress or skirt and nice top. During the day anything goes. We usually wear shorts and a tee shirt or Hawiian type shirt. As for excursions.........when you get your cruise documents there will be descriptions of all the excursions offered by the ship. You can pick whatever suits your tastes or lifestyle. Snorkeling with the stingrays in Grand Cayman is very popular. Also there will be companies offering excursions at the ports of call. These are usually cheaper than those offered by the ship. You can also choose to not take an excursion. There is always shopping where the ship docks. There will also be restaurants and bars near the dock. You can hop in a taxi near the dock and go to a local beach. MAKE SURE you get back to the ship on time, as they will leave you behind and you don't want that. There are links on this website that have packing lists. Check them out to see what they suggest. You will probably take too much stuff the first time. The most important thing to take is sunscreen. The Caribbean is much stronger than the sun at home. A bad sunburn on the first day can ruin your cruise. We apply sunscreen before we leave our cabin. If you are going snorkeling be sure to apply it to the back of your legs and the tops of your feet. Relax and have a great trip. Hope this helps a little. If you have any other questions feel free to email me at: joeyancho@yahoo.com Bon Voyage.............

we were on jewel 6 night western car 11/14/04 - there was 1 formal night, 5 causal and one smart casual (still haven't figured out that one). My dh wore a suit for formal and I wore a short black dress - nothing fancy. You can be as formal as you care to be or just dressed "appropriately". You're on vacation so don't get too caught up in your wardrobe. Trust me whatever you take you will overpack! We took way too much - and had to tote it around! Wish we had packed lighter - anyway, the other 5 nights I wore capris and/or a simple sleeveless sundress. You will see everything, although I have to say on our cruise we never saw any dressed "down" (jeans, shorts, etc.) Have a great time - oh and by the way, hope you make those workouts twice a day!!! I started out with good intentions and ended up in the gym twice the whole week! There is just so much else to do and you'll get excercise just walking around the ship and at the ports. Happy sailing!

we were on jewel 6 night western car 11/14/04 - there was 1 formal night, 5 causal and one smart casual (still haven't figured out that one).

Really? I had read here on the boards several places that there were 2 formal nights on the 6 day???

Went on the 6 night Dec 12. By that time they had changed it to TWO formal nights. Monday and Thursday. 7nucruzers was on the very first 6 night Caribbean and they only had 1 but they changed it a couple of weeks later.

Archived