Embassy Suites, New Orleans

KathieP

Just wanted to give a quick thumbs-up to Embassy Suites in New Orleans. We stayed here Christmas Eve and Christmas Night for $99 for our family. We got a price of $89 for a family of four and had to pay $10 more for the fifth. This was about two or three short blocks to the pier and streetcar. We actually carried our bags to the pier without too much trouble. The hotel was very nice, clean and quiet. We enjoyed the free custom made breakfasts and also had dinner in the Resturant. We would have eaten Christmas dinner in the quarter but, believe it or not, it was very cold (35 degrees!) and the rest of our family was not coming in until 6:00 pm. Actually, they didn't get in at all and ended up coming in from Houston the next day, but that's another story!

The only downside would be if you drove in parking is $22 a day. There might be off-site parking nearby but since we flew in, I didn't look for it.

The streetcar runs every ten minutes and costs $1.25 each way, takes you right to the French Quarter. We also walked to the French Quarter; it's about a mile to the center of the French Quarter and walkable in nice weather. Not real smart when it's snowing and sleeting but since were from the Northeast, we thought we could brave it. Perhaps we're not very smart.... Anyway, we had a great time and I can recommend Embassy Suites.

• 3 weeks later...

We had a group of 20 so I called the hotel in N.O. directly and asked for a group discount. We got the quote for $89 for each room but had to add an extra $10 for the fifth person in our room. That is, it was $89 for up to four and then $10 for one more.

I've gotten good rates before by using cheaphotels.com. I just checked their website and put in a random date in July and got 2 hotels in the quarter under $100. a night. Oops, didn't look down far enough, there are quite a few places under $100, not embassy suites though. Did you look at their website? Here is their "Specials" page - http://www.embassyneworleans.com/whatsnew.html. good luck!

Archived