Port Denarau

Rasa Sayang

So whats at Port Denarau worth seeing?

Years ago the P&O cruise ships [in the Himalaya days] used to call at Lautoka on that part of Viti Levu, I suppose it can't handle the larger ships these days.

We have not been to Fiji for 37 years

Just trying to decide if we should scrap our 7 day PD cruise next year in favour of the 12 day Fiji cruise in October.

Or maybe we should just do both. :D:p

Years ago the P&O cruise ships [in the Himalaya days] used to call at Lautoka on that part of Viti Levu, I suppose it can't handle the larger ships these days.

Just trying to decide if we should scrap our 7 day PD cruise next year in favour of the 12 day Fiji cruise in October.

Not a lot, on our trip there people were likening it to Port Douglas (not that I would know) all very modern with about 8 Resorts on the Island, lots of big yachts and pleasure craft. Boutiqe type shopping apart from Jack's of Fiji. We went on the Dawn Princess and there was entertainment by the locals in the centre of the shopping village, I don't know if it was put on by the ship or not, but that was quite interesting.There was a free bus that took you for a bit of a drive passed all the resorts you could get off at any of the resorts and go for a swim as they all backed on to the water, I think the bus is for resort guests to get around the Island.was quite nice but not really my idea of a tropical Island too commercialized!

Robin

Port Denarau is a commercial development/resort complex... Lots of restaurants, shops etc. It's the least 'Fijian' of all the Fijian ports. We visited Port Denarau in September and Port Douglas in January and there are a lot of similarities between them.

Thanks folks

Sounds a bit plastic.

Being an old Port Douglas fan from the days when the only place of note that was there was Ben Cropp's little museum at the end of the jetty, I'm aghast at what they've done with it.

If Pt Denarau is anything like that we might just stay aboard if we decided to go on that cruise.:D

At least its another 5 days on the PD if we do the trip . :):p

Once again thanks for the info.

Thanks folks

Sounds a bit plastic.

Being an old Port Douglas fan from the days when the only place of note that was there was Ben Cropp's little museum at the end of the jetty, I'm aghast at what they've done with it.

If Pt Denarau is anything like that we might just stay aboard if we decided to go on that cruise.:D

At least its another 5 days on the PD if we do the trip . :):p

Once again thanks for the info.

We did a helicopter flight (P&O Shore Tour) which was well worth it for a view of all the islands off the coast of Fiji near Nadi, and for the flyover and circle of Pacific Dawn at anchor.

The tender ride from the ship's anchorage is lengthy - 20mins by ships tender, 10 minutes if you're lucky to get on one of the catermarans that they charter to supplement the ship's tenders at peak times.

Nadi is only a short bus ride away. You can also take bus rides around the Port Denarau comples on the 'Bula Buses' that link all the resorts.

hi, we were also there on the dawn princess in may, 4 of us hired a taxi and went to the 'land of the sleeping giants'' which is i think the largest orchard forrest in the southern hemi. we also went to a local village of which the current prime minister is the chief i think the the cost was $20 each for taxi and $12 for the forrest tour worked out 1/2 the price of what the ship tour was

ross

Archived