Arubalisa or other experts...

feenix

Hi - This question is about flying in to Aruba, I hope that is not a problem for this forum. I am finding tickets to Aruba very expensive, and don't know what is reasonable to pay for a round trip ticket. From St. Louis, they are running $398, round trip, PLUS $102 in taxes and fees. That sounds like a lot ($500 round trip), but maybe that is normal? Are there heavy taxes/fees for flying here? Thanks so much.

I am guessing this is on Delta or American? Either way, unless you wait for a sale, it is not a "bad' price. Right now fares from Atlanta on Delta to Aruba next June, including the taxes, are $550. For Christmas our fare was $800 and then went down in price to about $675. The seats were just no selling. We bought high because we needed specfic dates. Two years ago for Christmas the fare was $1100.

If you can fly on a Saturday, right now the cheapest fares I know from ATL are on Spirit and Air Tran. Air Tran does not start flying to AUA until Dec. 19. You could check pricing on Spirit Air, they fly out of Ft. Lauderdale. Perhaps you could get a low fare there from STL?

You will find the "cheap" fares, about $400 or so, on sale from the NY metro area. There is lots of competition there and thus lots of price breaks. Unfortunate for us who do not live there. :(

The only other thought I have is Jet Blue. We have friends who fly red eye from Denver to JFK (NY) and then on ward to Aruba. Continental used to have a flight from Houston, not sure if they still have it.

Thanks Arubalisa - that is very helpful. Have a great time at Christmas! We've been to Aruba in December, and the island is so beautiful decorated for the holidays. I don't care what people say, Christmas is twice as nice with palm trees and sunshine! Forget the snow!

• 2 weeks later...

Arubalisa, you seem to know so much about Aruba. Maybe you can answer one more regarding the airport, we are flying in on Sat and have been there before, but I can't

remember, when you get off the plane, do you pick up your luggage and then go thru customs or do you get stamped first and then get the bags? Trying to waste no time, and if we have to wait for the luggage 1st then I will just do carryon, but if its after waiting on line then I might as well check the bags and not concern myself with the 3 oz pain.

Thanks for your help.

Arubalisa, you seem to know so much about Aruba. Maybe you can answer one more regarding the airport, we are flying in on Sat and have been there before, but I can't remember, when you get off the plane, do you pick up your luggage and then go thru customs or do you get stamped first and then get the bags? Trying to waste no time, and if we have to wait for the luggage 1st then I will just do carryon, but if its after waiting on line then I might as well check the bags and not concern myself with the 3 oz pain. Thanks for your help.

De-plane and then first stop downstairs is Aruba Immigrations. You will be given forms to fill out on the plane and you will need to show your passport.

From there you head to baggage claim. There are I think 3 or 4 carousels. Your flight will be marked.

Grab your bags and THEN you will head through Aruba Customs. Word has it that they are stopping more people and asking more questions. We did not experience this in June, but did see others pulled aside.

Departing Aruba is MUCH more complicated. U.S. Customs & Immigration Departing Aruba

If you are departing on a Saturday especially, arrive 3 hours prior to your flight departure time.

http://www.airportaruba.com/en/flightinfo/traveladv/traveladvframes/leadtime/

Leaving Aruba - When They Say Get There Three Hours Early They Mean It

U.S. Customs short-staffed at Aruban airport

• 1 month later...

I'm paying $443 to go 12/13 overnight LA to Aruba (US Air) and then 12/21 back from Miami to LA (Alaska).

Hoping that we can quickly take a bus to the Renaissance from the Airport since we get in at 1:24 and I want to have some sunlight to check things out! :)

Gosh after leaving reading these articles I wonder why anyone would think to go to Aruba for a vacation It sounds like Aruba is pointing at US Customs but the whole process sounds full of long lines. I guess it probably adds up to about the same time as having to go thru customs in the US though. Since this is CRUISE critic it makes even more sense to take a cruise to visit Aruba. :-)

Archived