Star Flyer Tahiti Seasick?

ambaker6

I will be on the Nov. 8 Tahiti Sailing. Any advise on seasickness on the Tahiti sailing will be appreciated. I have my wristbands, dramamine, & ginger. I have never done the "patch". I was on Royal Clipper Caribbean sailing and was a little seasick one day. Being a smaller ship, I am a little concerned.

Unfortunately, the seas in French Polynesia are unpredictable. We have been twice.....Star Flyer in August of last year & the Tahitian Princess in Nov. '06. Neither of the trips did we experience any bad weather.

However, on the Star Flyer, the first night during the long leg to Huahine, there was quite a bit of motion on the ocean. It was the talk of the day at breakfast the next morning....I didn't hear anyone saying the actually got sick, but a few were a bit green looking:D we did experience every inch of the bed that night. We picked up some fresh ginger at Le Marche and made tea which helped the stomach I think.

After that first night, we didn't experience any difficulties.

Mike

Last December we were on the Star Flyer. The seas were light and we never saw even one person have any trouble with seasickness. I bet you'll be fine. We are going again this December and can't wait.

Hope this helps, Bon Voyage

Pat:D

Contrary to the above experiences, we had some rough seas and high winds this September. I have heard similar reports from October cruisers.

My doctor offered me a script for the patch so I took it. Was really glad I had them. Be prepared, bring some along. It amounts to really cheap insurance. Being seasick while on vacation is a real downer.

Robbie

The patch is "Transderm SCOP" the active ingredient is scopolamine. It is basically a timed release of the drug over 3 days. No side effects for me, just no nausea. It is a prescription drug in the states. Some Canadians told me it was not available in Canada but some Europeans did have them. It definitly works.

We did back to back 10 day and 7 day cruises. Had a wonderful time. Other than the high seas the weather was generally fine. Lots of snorkeling opportunities in the lagoons, nice people, good tours. I am sure you will like it.

Robbie

The recommended usage is to apply the patch a few hours before you sail. The problem with waiting is that it can take as much as 6-8 hours to take effect. That's a long, long, long time if you are sick. If you know you are suceptable this is probably the best course to take. If you are only worried about really rough conditions check with one of the ship's officers for a forecast. Bear in mind that their definitions of rough might be different than your stomach's!!

Remember, once you apply the patch it's good for 3 days. Be a little careful showering, you can scrub the things off.

Robbie

• 2 weeks later...

Archived