Private tour guide???

DonnaK

We are thinking of doing a guided walking tour of Old San Juan, and was wondering if there is such a thing as private guides for this? The self-guided tour seems too confusing to us, and the segway tour is too expensive, and the bicycle tour is too strenuous.

Alternatively, we were wondering if there were private tour guides that could put together a bus/taxi/car tour of OSJ, Bacardi, and Beach for us.

We are 6 people: 2 adults and four teens 16-19 years old. We do not wish to book such a tour through the cruise line (actually Princess hardly offers any) and would like to arrange this on our own.

Also, is the drinking age in PR 18 or 21?

• 6 months later...

My husband and I and friends of ours were on the Caribbean Princess May 9-18 2010. We had pre-arranged with Albert Aguire (Surfcabs)for a Rainforest tour on May 12. I have several emails. Albert assured us that we were confirmed for the tour and told me that he'd be waiting outside the gate in San Juan and for us to give him a call on his cell when we were off the ship. We got off and Albert was nowhere to be found. I called him and he seemed surprised and told me that he'd already picked up another group and was on the way to the rainforest. he apologized that he had forgotten us and said he'd try to have one of his associates take us. He said he'd call me right back. Well, after waiting for a while we started asking other folks if they could take us to the rainforest. By that time no one would take us as the rainforest closes at 6 and the drive could take an hour or more in the late day traffic. Albert called me back after an hour and a half, yes it really took that long, and left a message. Long story short-we all had been so looking forward to the rainforest and never got there despite Albert's "you are confirmed" emails. I would not recommend him and would recommend that if you are planning to use Albert that you have a back up plan. You may need it.

Our party has increased to 9 people from when I first posted this inquiry. We've read all about Albert on these boards, but we have no interest in going to the rainforest and all his tours include that (we emailed him about customizing a tour for us without the rainforest, but got no reply).

We found a recommendation in another post for Victor Balbin at Country Tours, so we booked with him. I'll post a review when I return.

Our party has increased to 9 people from when I first posted this inquiry. We've read all about Albert on these boards, but we have no interest in going to the rainforest and all his tours include that (we emailed him about customizing a tour for us without the rainforest, but got no reply).

We found a recommendation in another post for Victor Balbin at Country Tours, so we booked with him. I'll post a review when I return.

correction: It's Countryside Tours: http://countrysidetourspr.com/home Victor customized a tour for us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Albert was reserved and confirmed by me for 5/22 @ 2:30 because I needed time to get some of my party off the ship-----he was not there....I was told he had waited an hour before leaving. I pointed out to various other drivers that since it was 2:20, I was actually early. My party of 6 included a 90 and an 88 year old....did not appreciate having to negotiate in the heat with another driver.

I reserved in February and confirmed the week before our cruise. No excuse for leaving with other people.

Do NOT use Albert unless you have a back-up plan.

Maere

Archived