Question about Cannes and Monte Carlo

Cheesi

Next year we're on an itinerary that has stops in both Cannes (stops on Wed) and Monte Carlo (stops on a Thursday) - each stop being from 8:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m. so we have plenty of time in each port. I've noticed a lot of threads here deal with stopping at one or the other, not both.

Kicking around some ideas about visiting some of the various places mentioned in these threads. We thought as a minimum we would take a train to Nice from Monte Carlo.

I was intrigued at St. Paul de Vence and noticed Hank's comment about renting a car to go there. Is it doable from Cannes too?

Your general thoughts about the best way to break up some of these cities between the two ports since we have such two long stops? We're not beach people.

Thanks!

Yes, driving from Cannes to St Paul de Vence is very doable and it takes about 45 min (one-way). When we happen to be on a cruise that stops in Cannes we will often do this drive and than stop in Antibes on the way back to Cannes. On your MC stop you might want to add a visit to Eze to your itinerary. That small village is a wonderful contrast to Nice and MC. I strongly recommend renting a GPS with a rental car and making sure your rental car dealer location is programmed as a "favorite." This can really be a life-saver on your return since its not uncommon for some drivers to get frustrated trying to get back to their rental company because of one-way streets.

Hank

Yes, driving from Cannes to St Paul de Vence is very doable and it takes about 45 min (one-way). When we happen to be on a cruise that stops in Cannes we will often do this drive and than stop in Antibes on the way back to Cannes. On your MC stop you might want to add a visit to Eze to your itinerary. That small village is a wonderful contrast to Nice and MC. I strongly recommend renting a GPS with a rental car and making sure your rental car dealer location is programmed as a "favorite." This can really be a life-saver on your return since its not uncommon for some drivers to get frustrated trying to get back to their rental company because of one-way streets.

Hank

Hank, Thank you for responding. I'll do some rental car checking. We have our own Tom Tom GPS we take with us whenever we go to Europe and it has come in handy in the various spots we've rented cars.

Our rental car company of choice in Cannes is Europcar. The primary reason is that they used to open earlier than Budget (nearby Europcar) and they do have an office within the city. It does take about 20 - 25 min to walk from the tender pier to Europcar, but its a nice walk through the best part of Cannes,

Hank

Archived