Excursion in Port Canaveral

BUSYGIRL

My DD and I will be traveling on the Pride in December and want to go to Disneyworld while in Port Canaveral. Has anyone ever rented a car for the day while in port there? will the rental agency pick you up and drop you at the port? Has anyone else done DisneyWorld as an excursion? Would you recommend paying Carnivals much higher cost or doing on your own?

My DD and I will be traveling on the Pride in December and want to go to Disneyworld while in Port Canaveral. Has anyone ever rented a car for the day while in port there? will the rental agency pick you up and drop you at the port? Has anyone else done DisneyWorld as an excursion? Would you recommend paying Carnivals much higher cost or doing on your own?

We rented a car from Dollar when we were in Port Canaveral last month. We were a little later than we said we'd be getting off the ship, so we called them and they were there in 10 minutes. All the major rental agencies will pick you up - you have to walk through the tunnel after you get off the ship into the parking lot area.

We didn't do Disney, but went on an eco-tour out of Merritt Island. We had the whole pontoon boat (Island Boat Lines) to ourselves! With the cost of the car, the tour, and gas, we saved about $60, plus we had the flexibility to go at our own pace, stop at the beach, and pick up a few things at Walmart.

I would be careful with going to Disney to leave plenty of time to get back to the ship.

JMHO..... DisneyWorld is NOT a shore excursion I would even consider by any means, via cruise ship (in fact I think it is ridiculous that CCL even offers something like this to its passengers given the limited period of time in port !)....It is more like a 3 - 4 day event at minimum, to get the full effect and taste of Disney.

I'm doing the same itinerary on the Dream out of NY on 11/23. We will be in Port Canaveral on Thanksgiving Day. I am renting a car to go to one of the Disney Parks. It is just way to expensive for us to do the excursion through the ship. All of the rental car agencies will pick you up at the Port and drop you back to the port. In the event that the shuttle is taking too long or there are time constraints, all of the car rental places are no more than a 7-10 minute ride from the Port, so a cab would not be expensive. When checking prices, you have to use Cape Canaveral as the place that you are renting the car from, I tried Port Canaveral and the message that the location didn't exist came up everytime. I am down to crunch time and I am looking for discount tickets to the one of the parks. That is a little tough and I may end up going through AAA. But even if I pay full price for the tickets, doing the excursion on my own is half of what I would pay Carnival and that is with the rental car included. The most important thing is to budget your time. You don't want to miss the ship!

I hope this helps! Enjoy your cruise.

I live not too far from the port.Car rentals are easy and they will pick up and drop off.Choose budget if you want the closest.

Disney is an easy drive and easy visit if..............you are there during the week.

Steve

Thanks to everyone for your response. I will get started looking for a rental. My DD and I have done Disney before so this excursion is just to get a few smiles from her and not to be immersed in Disney. We can't wait!!

Thanks to everyone for your response. I will get started looking for a rental. My DD and I have done Disney before so this excursion is just to get a few smiles from her and not to be immersed in Disney. We can't wait!!

My family has done Disney before also (Last year Thanksgiving). So we are doing it for the same reason also. It is part of the thrill for my kids- The Whale Tail (as they lovingly refer to ALL cruise ships) and a little Disney!! Life doesn't get any better. Go for it and revel in your daughter's enjoyment!!!

Op you will get alot of feedback encouraging you to skip Disney because it's not long enough to enjoy etc. Do what makes you happy. With that being said when my dh and I spent a week in Orlando prior to cruising I found an excellent site to help with my Disney questions and to get info from. It's called MouseSavers dotcom. There's a wealth of info on there and if you haven't been there yet it's well worth checking it out.

Be very careful with trying to score cheaper tickets to Disney as many of those too good to be true deals have turned out to be scams. Years ago when we went to Disney the first time there were deals all over in Kissimee for tickets and they were legit. The last time we went I ordered tickets through one of the places that came reccomended on mouse savers. It wasn't a huge savings and only a bit more than my AAA was offering.

Enjoy your time in Disney :)

Archived