Review of Herod's tour

anniversarycruiser40

We just returned from a 10 day Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Ruby Princess. We had prebooked an all day tour with Herod's through our roll call group. It was our favorite tour and favorite island. Our driver was Jr. and he did a great job. For $70 per person we saw most of the sights on the island. We had many stops to see the sites/views and to take some great pictures. We had free water, sodas, rum punch,beer, home made bread and bananas. We saw the drive-in volcano, water fall, snorkeked the beach between the Pitons, saw a banana plantation, saw several fishing villages and even had a great buffet lunch at Herod's mother and father's house. The food was local and was delicious! We then boarded a small boat back to the cruise port, so we were able to see the island from the water. I would not hesitate to do this tour again. Herod and Jr. do a great job. I would be glad to answer any questions.

Hi janie1111, glad you enjoyed the tour too. Were you and your husband sitting in the back next to my husband? (silver hair, mustache). Glad you had fun too. Wish I could have talked to people more, had to ride in the front because I get car sick! My daughter lives in Kirkland, I think we talked about the Hyatt which is where her husband works in our roll call before the cruise. Wish we could have had more time to visit, maybe we will meet up some other cruise!

Herod is absolutely the best! Click on my AOS review link and scroll down to St. Lucia for a full review with tons of pictures. Herod is among the top tour guides I have ever used anywhere and a day with him is as close to perfection as you can get!

Amazing review. Thanks. We were thinking about bringing something, like school supplies, for the children. Do you remember when talking to Herod if he mentioned anything that was hard to get or in short supply that we could bring. No big screen TVs :D. We were thinking of going to the dollar store and getting cute pencils or books or ....?

Amazing review. Thanks. We were thinking about bringing something, like school supplies, for the children. Do you remember when talking to Herod if he mentioned anything that was hard to get or in short supply that we could bring. No big screen TVs :D. We were thinking of going to the dollar store and getting cute pencils or books or ....?

Thanks! I didn't talk to him about that specifically, but I'm sure he would be happy to deliver them into needy hands. He is from Souffriere and showed us the elementary school he went to. I would think that all the normal school supplies would be in need and would be appreciated and much cheaper at Walmart, etc. than what they can get it for on the island. Herod is really quick to respond to emails so you could ask him if he knows of any items of particular need.

Hi janie1111, glad you enjoyed the tour too. Were you and your husband sitting in the back next to my husband? (silver hair, mustache). Glad you had fun too. Wish I could have talked to people more, had to ride in the front because I get car sick! My daughter lives in Kirkland, I think we talked about the Hyatt which is where her husband works in our roll call before the cruise. Wish we could have had more time to visit, maybe we will meet up some other cruise!

Hi! We were sitting in the back with Mike. I guess I didn't put you together with your screen name and how we talked about Kirkland. Sorry. Loved the cruise. We've had rain and wind ever since we returned though. Hope to meet again. Janie

We just returned from a 10 day Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Ruby Princess. We had prebooked an all day tour with Herod's through our roll call group. It was our favorite tour and favorite island. Our driver was Jr. and he did a great job. For $70 per person we saw most of the sights on the island. We had many stops to see the sites/views and to take some great pictures. We had free water, sodas, rum punch,beer, home made bread and bananas. We saw the drive-in volcano, water fall, snorkeked the beach between the Pitons, saw a banana plantation, saw several fishing villages and even had a great buffet lunch at Herod's mother and father's house. The food was local and was delicious! We then boarded a small boat back to the cruise port, so we were able to see the island from the water. I would not hesitate to do this tour again. Herod and Jr. do a great job. I would be glad to answer any questions.

Thanks for the great review. We have toured with Herod during a land-based vacation and we LOVE him. We toured with others in St. Lucia during that same time and Herod is our all-time favorite. I am so glad that you posted this thread! Thanks!!

Our group of 10 is touring with him again in Feb. Will let you know how it is.....but I'm sure it will be wonderful again! We love him!!! Our kids (in their 30s and 40s) liked him so much that they sent school supplies from the US after the tour. We asked him what he wanted from the US and he said his family had plenty....that he would like us to bring school supplies for the children who cannot afford them. School is mandatory in SL, but students have to find their own way to school, buy their own lunch (no matter how poor they are), and provide all their own supplies and books. Not what we are used to in the US.....I thought that was very unselfish of him to ask for something for someone else.

Again, thanks for posting this!

So, besides pencils and erasers, what would you suggest? We'd love to donate some school supplies, just trying to get some specifics.

He said they need pencils, small handheld pencil sharpeners, erasers, chalk, crayons (small individual boxes), notebook paper, pocket folders, colored pencils, rulers, etc. Also, if you can find the little plastic boxes (the size of the old cigar box that we used to keep our school stuff in) you could fill those and they would not take up much additional space or weight.

I am SO glad that others are willing to help too......have Herod drive you past a school. The school "lunch room" blew me away.....it was a person with a cooler who was set up next to the street and who made some very simple sandwiches for those who could afford lunch. It was pretty sobering to be reminded that, as important as education is, it is tough to get an education in many countries.

Hi Janie, hope to meet again some day! We have had snow here the last two days with temp in the high 30's and 40's, Yuk. I can't seem to get warm since we came back.

I'm so glad people were able to enjoy my review. I was a little put off by rummenroman.

I think the school supplies to the schools in St. Lucia is a great idea. I will email him and see if there is a way to send them to him and then he can take them to the schools or maybe he can give us a name of a school there. I know that Herod's Dad is a retired teacher. What a good idea at Thanksgiving when we are so lucky with all that we have to be Thankful for.

Cool. Just sent out a note to my group so those that want to bring stuff know exactly what to shop for. My brother, who is a teacher, will probably go nuts buying stuff. Actually so is my step son.....

Hi Janie, hope to meet again some day! We have had snow here the last two days with temp in the high 30's and 40's, Yuk. I can't seem to get warm since we came back.

I'm so glad people were able to enjoy my review. I was a little put off by rummenroman.

I think the school supplies to the schools in St. Lucia is a great idea. I will email him and see if there is a way to send them to him and then he can take them to the schools or maybe he can give us a name of a school there. I know that Herod's Dad is a retired teacher. What a good idea at Thanksgiving when we are so lucky with all that we have to be Thankful for.

I wish we could bring him some school supplies on our upcoming trip, but it is actually cheaper to ship them than to bring them by plane now. We will be sending some soon....or will try to purchase some in San Juan before the cruise.

Archived