Great Barrier Reef

sej67

I'm doing a day tour at the Great Barrier Reef near Cairns, with snorkeling in the morning and a glass bottom boat in the afternoon. What do people do for photos? Would it be best to get an underwater disposable camera for the snorkeling, use a regular camera in the glass bottom boat, or both? The last time I went snorkeling was in Hawaii in '99, before I got a digital camera. I'm assuming there are digital underwater disposable cameras, aren't there? I bet they're pretty expensive, though. As far as the traditional (digital) camera in the glass bottom boat, I'm wondering if the flash will bounce off the glass, although I guess I can just put the camera right up to the glass. Also, the flash is only good for, what, 10 feet? So the pictures may not turn out all that great.

You can buy disposable underwater cameras for under $25.00. Just like the above water ones. They are okay for fun pics. Buying a quality underwater camera can of course cost a fortune. One option is to hire one and here is a link to one place in Cairns I found that does do daily hires. I can't vouch for them and I am sure there are others here. An internet search may give you more choices.

http://www.cairnsunlimited.com/cameras.htm

In general you do not need a flash for photography through the glass of a boat or semi-submersible. There is sufficient natural light. Camera buffs may be better able to advise you on that. Have fun at the reef!

There are quite a few places in CNS that rent and sell cameras including digitals. One shop is right in the Reef Marine Terminal where you check in for your tour. I recommend going there the day before so you aren't rushed. There are also several stores in the Esplanade and near the Night Market.

Our tour was on Silversonic, part of the Quicksilver group. They are affiliated with a place that rents Canon A-series cameras with a 1GB SD card....you keep the card. I recall they charged about $50 US per day. Another shop burns a CD at the end of the day with your photos combined with their "canned" shots.

We decided to buy a single-use film camera; it was about $25 for a Fuji with flash. I was concerned about finding a place that could process it. When we got home the local Target said they get underwater cameras all the time. They processed the film and burned a CD for only $10 or $12.

Photography though glass can be tricky. Do NOT use the flash and get the lens as close to the window as possible to eliminate stray reflections. Since the skills and techniques are indifferent to film vs. digital, I recommend practicing with your digital at home.

Archived