Land tour--end of May or Sept??

indiesmom

We are planning to do a 10 day Alaska land tour on our own next year starting out from Anchorage. We have two different times we can travel--either around the 29th of May or around Sept 3. I would greatly appreciate any advice as to which time would be best and why. Places we plan to visit include Denali, Seward, Kenai, Homer, etc. Thanks so much!

To be frank either time can be iffy - but for Denali you may have snow either time so keep that in mind. I would check to see when the whales migrate North or South since you want to see some on your trip. We went end of August and saw pods migrating it was incredible - we went back this July and it was 80 degrees and sunny with not a drop of rain and another time on a land trip same time and the weather was rainy and cloudy so you can never count on the weather. If the whales are still there I would pick September since you will certainly have enough light and it is less crowded.

OUr first time to Alaska was May 19 to June 2 (I think) in 2001. Anyway, the cruise started May 26 or so. WE did the land touring first and was disappointed how dry the land was leaving on the train out of Anchorage to Denali. NOt what we expected. Also, the shuttle bus couldn't go very far into the park cause of snow. I have now learned that you can't go very far until about June 11. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Our second time was the second and third week of June, 2005. That was a great time for weather. Was even 80 degrees during the day when in the town of Juneau. Cold, of course, on the top of the mountain. We had great weather that trip.

We did a 10 day independent land only trip in June, 2007 and once again had good weather. That trip we took our time touring the Kenai Peninsula, Homer, Seward, and drove the Matanuska Valley and Talkeetna.

This last trip was August 28 - Sept. 9 cruising northbound from Vancouver to Seward and then 5 days on land. Rain was predicted for almost our entire trip and we ended up with rain only one evening so don't be scared off by the weather forecast. We particularly liked going at this time cause Denali was so beautiful from all the fall colors. We were in Denali Sept. 6, 7, 8.

As you can tell, we like doing our land touring independently also. LIke doing our own thing and doing what we want, when we want.

Just remember that you need to decide what your priorities are for this trip and that you can't do it all in one trip.

This was my two cents only.

Both times offer excellent interior Alaska touring. I am also assuming you are referring to the Kenai Peninsula- which is Seward and Homer and NOT the city of Kenai?? (which is a few hour stop, for most?) If you go in May, you are going to want to route yourself for Denali park last- so to get farther into the park and definately June 1 or later. The above poster, wasn't aware of this when they booked apparantely??

Going in Sept, is also an excellent timeframe for INTERIOR Alaska, which I am assuming you are only doing with no cruise? As noted you definately can have snow in Denali Park. Daylight is still 9pm with extended twilight, so not significant like it is on the Inside Passage.

I would check to see when the whales migrate North or South since you want to see some on your trip. We went end of August and saw pods migrating it was incredible - weQUOTE]

Sorry you are completely wrong here, the whales were NOT migrating end of August. And they most certainly are in the feeding areas well past the cruise season with the humpbacks migrating in November. Grays are extremely rare to see, and orcas are pure chance- for the transients, and the Vancouver resident 6 pods do not migrate.

Archived