Weather forecast for Antarctica

Lirio

Does anyone know where I can find weather forecast for Antarctica and South Georgia?

I am considering a cruise late Feb./early Mar. and would like to check weather.

I am also interested to know wheter we will be able to see pinguins and other birds at this time.

:D

Hi Lirio.

Sth Georgia will range between 2 to 4 degrees celsius in summer. The weather is variable though, so it can dip suddenly due to winds at any time. Antarctica will range from 5 degrees celsius to about -2 on the peninsula, but again is variable. The wind is what makes it feel cold, so the wind chill factor can drop the temperature very quickly.

The king penguins at Sth Georgia remain near their colony year round due to their breeding cycle. Those penguins that have had a chick fledge in December will try to lay another egg around March that usually doesn't survive. The gentoo penguin chicks will be fledging around late Feb/Mar. The fur seal pups will be being weaned about this time too. So plenty to see at South Georgia.

The adelie penguins in Antarctica will largely be gone by late Feb. The chicks fledge mid Feb and head out to sea. The gentoos and their chicks will still be around until mid-March, and the chinstraps will still be around until late March.

Cheers

Does anyone know where I can find weather forecast for Antarctica and South Georgia?

I am considering a cruise late Feb./early Mar. and would like to check weather.

I am also interested to know wheter we will be able to see pinguins and other birds at this time.

Archived