A general question to anyone

savandbarb

We have a friend that is looking to cruise.They would like to know if you can make time payments with out actually setting or booking a cruise.they are not sure where thet want to go.Does anybody know the answer to this:confused:

Doubtful a cruiseline would let you make payment on a 'possible future cruise to somewhere on some ship'. :D

Yep, better to make your payments directly into an interest-bearing account (designated "CRUISE account") until you decide exactly which cruise you'd like to take.

There is such a thing as an "open booking" on some cruise lines (a concept that I've never fully been able to comprehend), but the bigger question is *WHY* fercripessakes, would you want to let somebody else have the use of *your* money before you absolutely *have* to give it to them? :confused:

I agree with everyone else, put the money in the bank. Maybe having a set amount taken out of her paycheck would work for her.

But if she really wants to do it here is a link to gift certificates good towards the purchase of any Carnival Cruise Lines cruise or as an on board credit

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/Default.aspx?cat=GiftCertificates

Many banks offer a "Vacation club" account - similar to those Christmas Club accounts where you choose a set amount to be deposited every week and they send you a check for the full amount, plus interest, at the end of the year. I think it's more difficult to withdraw the money from these "club" accounts than it would be if you just put it in your savings account.

I like the idea of the direct deduction from your paycheck, so you never really see it - less likely to spend it instead of saving it.

Why don't they just make time payments to their bank account until they decide what cruise to take?

I have to say JQH :D I've read quite a few of your posts on a few boards and you are quite funny and one of the most common-sensed people around these parts. It's nice having you around. :D

You can always book anything way out there can then make regular payments up til the final payment is due, then just alter your cruise to one of your choice and all the monies will tranfer to thast one. Only reason someone might want to do that is they are afraid of spending the money on something else.

WOW thatnks so much for all your replies.I thought that the bank thing was a great idea.We have always put money away in our premium account(better interest rate) until we cruise but when we offered him that idea he said it reminded him of a car payment not a vacation! Oh well it will be up to him what he wants to do but if he doesn't put his money away he will be really missing out on the phenomenon we all love,Cruising!:)

Archived