Norwegian Star and Carnvial Splendor

winningfreak

Both leave at about the same time but the start is $200 less and Carnival is offering to price match for a similar room. Same itinerary ( Mexico ) so now I just need to know which ship and service is better? anyone been on both the Splendor and the Star and can share some info? I know this is the Carnival section so i'm also posting it in the Norwegian section to see if anyone else has opinions on it. This would be my third cruise with Carnival ( Have a blast both times so far! ) and first with Norwegian.

Thanks in advance!

I've been on both. They each have good points. If you liked your other Carnival cruises, you will probably like the Splendor. I liked my spa balcony cabin on the Splendor, and I liked the lunch buffet. OTOH, I found the public rooms on the Splendor to be crowded, loud and gaudy, and the dining room menus didn't suit my personal taste. I felt I was on someone else's cruise; it just wasn't me. I liked the food on the Star better, including main dining room, breakfast buffet and dinner buffet. The Star's library is better, and there are more quiet spots to relax on the Star (I'm pretty laid back on vacation, YMMV). Star has a real promenade; I missed that on Splendor.

Service was a toss up. On the Splendor my cabin steward was good, but the dining room service was poor on Splendor. On the Star my cabin steward was below average, but most of my waiters were good.

Stay with carnival its a great ship with super entertainment and food, and if you had a blast with carnival why change?

Change can be enlightening :D... remember there is no "freestyle" option on the Splendor (or @ least that was reported to me)

I look forward to trying NCL in NINE DAYS! :)

We had the same dilemma, but ultimately decided on the Star. This will be our third time on the Star. We were very tempted to give the Splendor a try. I have been on Carnival 1 time and had a great experience. However, it really is the Freestyle that keeps us coming back to NCL. We tried Princess a couple of years ago, and again and a nice time. We tried their anytime dining and always had to wait for a table for 2 and we weren't thrilled with the MDR food. The Star is a nice ship,and we love the different restaurants. This will be our 4th time doing the Mexican Riviera. We chose it again because we got a fantastic deal and it is our home port. Either way, I am sure you will have a great time so it really is a win win because you are cruising situation! Good luck and have fun!

We've been on the Star 3 times and tried the Splendor this summer.

We vote for the Star - friendly staff, better food (IMHO), more visible crew, Star has Freestyle Dining - Splendor does not, etc.

Star is older and needs a drydock and the Splendor is newer but that doesn't always make for a better ship. We had an oceanview on the Splendor which was huge in comparison to an OV on the Star but that was perhaps the only plus that we found.

I just got off the Splendor it was my 10th Carnival cruise. I have been on the Star twice. I vote for the Star. The Splendor is a beautiful ship but has a lot of problems. It was the worse Carnival cruise I have taken. The ship is under staffed so you have to clear tables most of the time in order to sit down. You have to get your own drinks at the bar. On the last day for the first time of the cruise, I was offered coffee at breakfast. Food was just ok. Our server in the dining room was rude (later I found out they were working 18 hour days because the ship is under staffed), and they could not change my table so we ate in the buffet for the rest of the cruise. I will not be going on Carnival for some time.

Go with the Star.

Archived