Atlantica Cayman Tender Question

Snowblind

Hi All,

I need to know how the tendering process works with the Atlantica when visting the Grand Caymans. I would like to book an excursion to Stingray City, but can't pick a time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Happy Cruising:)

Hi Snowblind:

We sailed with the Atlantica last January and anchored in Grand Cayman.

Large tenders will transport you from the Atlantica to the main dock at the harbor. Takes only about 5 minutes each way and we experienced no wait time at all (neither in the morning nor in the afternoon). There were about 4 tenders serving the Atlantica, so even if you missed one tender, the next one was right in line to get on. Our tender must have held at least 150 people, as it was a large, double deck boat.

Once we got off the tender at the dock, we looked around for some maps of the island and also came across a sign for an excursion to Stingray City. We did not book any excursions through Costa, as we always like to explore things at our pace. We booked through a private charter right off the dock, which included R/T transportation to the marina (which is at the other end of the island), where we boarded a small to medium size boat (probably would have held around 35, but we were only about 20 in our group). We also had a private photographer on board, which had a great digital camera and took pictures during the trip, he even took pictures from us holding and feeding and (yes) kissing the stingrays. (If you kiss one, it should bring you luck for the next 7 years)... LOL ;-)

Great excursion, they also stop at a different anchor point for snorkeling, all equipment is provided and included in the fare. After we returned to the marina, we had them drop us on 7 mile beach, where we enjoyed the sand, the water and the beach. Absolutely beautiful. After the obligatory shopping trip downtown we got back to the Atlantica...

You'll love Stingray City, a once in a lifetime experience!!!

Any questions, feel free to contact me at PPPOWER96@aol.com

Happy Cruising!

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for the info, I have been reading a lot of your threads and found them very informative.

Your excursion to Stingray City sounds great and is exactly what we want to do, with the obligatory shopping trip.;)

Just one question Andy, do you remember the name of the charter?

Snowblind:

Sorry, I was thinking all night long about that name of the charter, but I can not remember. My wife unfortunately does not remember either, and neither do the kids.

Maybe you can find out if you ask, if they have the "Sun Light" in theif fleet. That was the ship's name we went on. If I recall correctly, the charter company had dark red (?) mini-busses, which transported you to the marina.

Sorry that I can't help with the charter companies name.

Andy

No problem Andy, I've pretty well nailed down who I will book with, thanks to all the CC'ers.:) The information here is amazing and I can't wait to go.

I know you are leaving soon Andy, have a great cruise.:)

• 1 month later...

Just noticed that you'll be on the Atlantica when we are. I guess we'll be seeing you at the airport. YYZ right? We'll be the ones with the toddler. We were on the Sunbird as well. We can't wait to go, I have had enough of this crazy Ontario winter! :)

CaptainDaddy,

Freezing rain mixed with snow as I'm typing this:( . Got to get out of here.

We are flying out of Toronto at 8:15 AM on the 27th. See you in the Cigar Lounge.

Mo From Canada,

We booked the Stingray tour with Captain Bryans, here is the the website http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/

The total cost for both of us is $78.00 U.S., it's a catamaran with a bar on board. I've got to have my rum & coke.:)

Happy Cruising!

Hi Snowblind,

My wife and I just got back yesterday from the Costa Atlantica Western Caribbean itinerary.

Andy described the tender situation pretty well. The tour groups have first priority but we managed to "sneak" onto one of these early tenders as our independently-booked Stingray City excursion was for 9:30 AM; I would suggest you do the same but line up earlier than we did, around 8:45 AM. We were queued around 9 AM and were almost late for our excursion. Costa said that we needed tender tickets to board and that these were only available after 9:30 but we didn't have them and got on fine without them.

We researched Soto's and Nativeway Watersports and went with the latter because the former was fully booked. Nativeway was excellent; they had the bus driver with a sign greeting you once you reach the pier, bus transportation to their boat, full equipment and complimentary spring water and juice on board; all for USD $30/person. There were only 12 of us on the boat and we were probably out in the water, with a LOT of stingrays to ourselves, by 10:45 AM. There was a larger ship with at least 100 people on it about 400 metres away and we were the only two groups out there that early.

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com

Hi All,

Easy E,

We are booked for 11:00 AM, I picked Captain Bryan for this reason as I did not want to be late because of the tendering process. Our next door neighbours just got back Sunday night from the same cruise you were on! They were celebrating their 50th anniversary. Have not talked to them yet about their trip, I'm letting them get used to Ontario weather first :) .

Mo from Canada,

We are doing the Western Caribbean and I will do a review when I return. I got a lot of good advice on Cruise Critic, and can't wait to put it to use.

Archived