Local Currency and Shore tours

hungryhippo

Hey all,

I know people always ask these questions, but I am hearing a lot of mixed information and wanted to know if anyone could help.

I am going on the Pacific Jewel in January and we stop at Noumea, Lifou, Vila and Wala. I was wondering if it is best to get currency exchanged before we go, or is it easier just to use AU$.

I am also looking to book some independant shore tours and was wondering if anyone can recommend any? P and O seem to hike up the price a fair bit, and I would like to see what I can book or what tours are available independantly.

Thanks! :D

Hi,

You can exchange your AUD at the pursers desk on the ship. I did it the night before the first port and then on the last night of the cruise I took back whatever I had left over and got back my aussie dollars.

As for independent shore tours, I'm sorry I can't help.

Enjoy your cruise and let us know how it all went; I go on the Jewel in Feb and I can't wait to hear everybody's stories.

Hi hungryhippo,

I've never needed to exchange currency and I've only been on ships tours. The locals offer tours and accept AUD. Our dollar is least acceptable in Noumea, so if you want to shop in the townshops you'll need to convert (via the purser is easy).

Enjoy your cruise.

Anna

Archived