Hotel & Taxi info Charelston/Majesty

billvabeach

We are going on the 2/12 sailing of the Majesty from Charleston.

We are flying in a day early and leaving a day late.

Looking for good but inexpensive hotel suggestions and also, how much is it for a taxi from the airport?

We are coming Friday night. Renting a car and need to find a way from the airport to pier and from pier to airport when we return. Like to know how much it will be.

Depends on what you mean by "good but inexpensive". I go to Charleston several times a year and stay right over the bridge in Mount Pleasant. There is a Red Roof and Masters Inn that I usually stay at (about $50 per night). You can find these locations on line. They are are Johnnie Dodds Blvd!

No idea on the Taxi. Never took one.

I live in Mt. P and agree with the above, however, if you are wanting to see some of Charleston while you're here, and you're on foot, you might want to bite the $ bullet and stay downtown. Days Inn on Meeting Street (South of Market Street) is one of the cheaper places downtown. Mills House is nice but pricey (probably couldn't get something for less than 150 bucks, but check for yourself).

Pro(s) of staying in Mt. P is only the cost-particularly if you stay where the poster above suggested. There's really nothing at the foot of the bridge BUT those hotels. Since you're dependent on taxis, you'd have to spend money to get anywhere, and that money could go towards the extra cost of a downtown room. Whereas downtown, you can easily walk everywhere--Market Street, restaurants, bars, historic stuff, even the Port (Caveat: You COULD walk to the port, but it might be a tough hike depending on your luggage. However, those of us that live here wouldn't think of driving from, say, Market Street to the Port. It's a very short distance--a matter of four, five blocks). And most of the hotels downtown will get you to the port (and even from the airport to the hotel).

Downtown warnings:

Make sure the hotel is actually "downtown." If the hotel listed is located "near MUSC" or on Lockwood Drive, Spring/Cannon Streets (the "crosstown"), it's in the hospital district, which is as close as Chas. comes to looking like Beirut.

Likewise, there is an area of Charleston known as "West Ashley." Ask if the hotel is in WA or "on Savannah Highway." If so, you don't wanna stay there, at least if you're looking to see the city.

In general, if the hotel is more than a mile from Market Street, you don't want it, at least for the purposes described here.

"North Charleston" is a completely different city, all of it hideous and far from downtown.

I don't know cab fares because I live here, but the airport is about 10 miles from downtown, 13 miles from Mt. P. I maintain there are surely cheaper ways (hotel shuttles) to get where you want to go, though.

The other thing to remember while in Charleston--people are inordinately nice here, so don't be afraid to ask. I once asked a complete stranger if I could photograph the ivy growing on their house and wound up drinking with them. Hell, if I had a bigger car I'd pick you up myself.

If you come up with potentials, post 'em, I'll let you know what I think.

Archived