Moot question about changing names on booking

flashdog_1

We have a military discount thru my DH for our September cruise to Canada/New England on Dawn. If he is unable to go but a friend of mine can go in his place, (I know we'd lose the discount) can you tell me how it would work? Does anyone have any experience with this kind of situation? That in itself doesn't sound too complicated (and yes he bought the NCL travel insurance), but my DD is also going, and we got the WAVE fare of $99 3rd pax rate for her.

I'm concerned that if he can't go it may not be as simple as substituting my friend's name and recalculating the fare w/out the military discount (keeping the same booking #).

Why am I concerned? Because recently I inquired what the fares would be if all 4 of us (DH, DD, my friend & I) got a suite together and NCL said they'd base the fare on the current price which is $399 per person for 3rd & 4th pax. She said this happens when you change category. So I'm hoping if I keep the BA originally booked there won't be a new booking # & I can keep the $99 3rd pax rate.

And if he cancels before final payment, does he get the cost of the insurance returned? :) I'm guessing not likely!

You see, he's had 2 surgeries already this year and I just don't ever know how he'll be feeling, so I'm trying to cover all contingencies. Thanks

Just a suggestion.... ask the mods to change the title of your thread from Moot question, to Hypothetical question.

Many people, if they think it's a moot question...won't bother to answer. You may get more responses with the updated title. But I don't know the answer to your question.

Sorry.

There is a possibility that if you refare due to hubby being unable to go and the reason you are getting the military discount, combined with the promo you got on the 3 pax.... there is a good chance that when you replace his name with another, all the fares will increase. As for the insurance....you will be out those costs as they are non refundable.

Your best bet is to contact your TA or who you booked with and ask them "hypothetically" what would happen if you changed your hubby and replaced with another. They should be able to give you the accurate answer to your question(s)(and I say that cautiously) !

I can understand losing special discounts that may not apply by changing a passenger on the booking, but I've often wondered the same.

Why can't we make an initial booking for 2 adults (or whatever combination applies) until the online registration has to be completed? By that time, it's pretty much set who will be traveling, short of any unexpected emergencies.

I can understand losing special discounts that may not apply by changing a passenger on the booking, but I've often wondered the same.

Why can't we make an initial booking for 2 adults (or whatever combination applies) until the online registration has to be completed? By that time, it's pretty much set who will be traveling, short of any unexpected emergencies.

Huh ???? Perhaps you mean make changes to names up to the time online registration is due ? If so, you really do not have to even preregister until even up to a couple days before sailing and that certainly would not work regarding changes in pricing that close to sailing date. I am sorry but perhaps I am not getting what you are saying at all.

We have a military discount thru my DH for our September cruise to Canada/New England on Dawn. If he is unable to go but a friend of mine can go in his place, (I know we'd lose the discount) can you tell me how it would work? Does anyone have any experience with this kind of situation? That in itself doesn't sound too complicated (and yes he bought the NCL travel insurance), but my DD is also going, and we got the WAVE fare of $99 3rd pax rate for her.

I'm concerned that if he can't go it may not be as simple as substituting my friend's name and recalculating the fare w/out the military discount (keeping the same booking #).

Why am I concerned? Because recently I inquired what the fares would be if all 4 of us (DH, DD, my friend & I) got a suite together and NCL said they'd base the fare on the current price which is $399 per person for 3rd & 4th pax. She said this happens when you change category. So I'm hoping if I keep the BA originally booked there won't be a new booking # & I can keep the $99 3rd pax rate.

And if he cancels before final payment, does he get the cost of the insurance returned? :) I'm guessing not likely!

You see, he's had 2 surgeries already this year and I just don't ever know how he'll be feeling, so I'm trying to cover all contingencies. Thanks

First about the insurance. you said it is NCL insurance and so as such if you cancel before final payment is due the insurance IS IN FACT fully refundable, or rather cancelable since you have not paid for it yet. If it were third party insurance you would be out of luck, [one of the few areas in my opinioin where cruise ins. is better than third party]

My big concern would be whether they will just change the rate to what it would have cost you WHEN you booked without the discount or if they will charge you the THEN applicable fare when you make the change.

I suspect the later.

Please be aware that in some cases the Military fare is actually MORE than the same thing booked without it, depends on what other discounts etc. you might qualify for.

I just booked a cruise where I qualify for Senior, Latitudes and Military discount, since the Military cancels some of the others the fare using it was quoted at $150. more pp than if I did not use the discount but used Latitudes instead. Which I did!

You can call the TA and TRY to get a hypothetical answer but I suspect it would mean much in reality.

Thanks, McCall. I haven't called NCL yet to inquire. I don't really want a note attached to our reservation about this! I've already inquired about adding 2 more and getting an AB suite.

The reservation is actually a little more complicated than I told you. We had 4 of the Bank of America upgrade certificates so booked a BC and after a week or so when the certificates went thru, they changed it to a BA & I jumped on the stern balcony. I don't see any reason the certificates would not be applicable on the changed reservation, if it comes to that.

I've never really known how much a Latitudes discount is. We'd qualify for senior, & Latitudes which I don't think can be combined. One of the pax is from Conn. but has a residence in Alabama, so we might have a better chance for a regional rate, too! That's interesting about having a lower rate without the military discount!

Archived