Low Carb (VERY low carb) diet ??? (Poesia)

vijoge

Cruising on the Poesia in March and diagnosed last week with Type 2 :mad:diabetes. I know the pasta is reported to be wonderful-however, I won't be able to eat it (and a lot of other things)as I am currently on a VERY low carb diet trying to get this thing under control without medication.

What I am going to need is lots of (green) vegetables without sauces. Is this going to be a problem? I can't even remember what the vegetables were like on our previous cruises. I don't think I paid them much attention. Obviously that is changing!

Thanks

Don't worry at all, I was diagnosed with Type 2 also just 4 mths before our cruise on Musica & Opera and can relate to your concern. The buffets at breakfast and lunch are wonderful, I lived on salads/vegetables and even the meals at dinner were no problem. My fellow diners were only too happy to relieve me of my bread rolls or I requested none. On each days menu there was a section of "always available" dishes and there were vegetables along with fish. I was far from hungry and managed to lose 2 kg's in the 3 weeks. We had a fruit bowl in our cabin which I presume you will too and I replenished it with fresh fruit from the breakfast buffet each morning for my "between meals" snacks. I always took a couple of bananas in my bag when I went ashore for the same reason.

I am fortunate I have never been a sweet tooth so am loving my diet of lean meat, vegetables/salad and fresh fruit. I have now lost 15 kg's and as a reward am enjoying my new wardrobe of clothes 2 sizes smaller. Please feel free to ask anymore questions but believe me you need not worry.

Cheers, Misty

Hi vijoge

There is always a salad course available in the ding room at lunch and dinner.

Also if for some reason the veggies have a sauce one evening, you can get plain old steamed ones no problem if you ask. I got a stomach bug and was only allowed steamed or boiled fish or chicken, rice or potatoes and steamed carrots or other veg. Just told the waiter that the doctor said i had to have plain steamed veg and that is exactly what i got.

real shame you have to forgoe the pasts but it is a seperate course at dinner. I never manage more than 3 or 4 courses. You will often find something fairly low in carbs as an appetizer, often one of the soups is a consomme and the salad and main course you are going to be able to have too. As Misty says you'll have absolutely no issues at the buffet. just explain to your waiter at the start that you are limited in what you can have for medical reasons and I'm sure you won't have any issues.

Good luck with the diet and enjoy your cruise

Archived