Guavaberry Rum

trbutler

If you want an inexpensive place to buy liquor in St Maarten---try Rams----like a grocery store---but with liquor. Last year we got a liter of Baileys for $12.50. Malibu Rum for 6.95----it is crazy! I bought a dozen bottles, mostly stuff that is expensive at home, Chambord, Baileys....guess I should bring plenty of bubble wrap :D

Where is Ram's located? Is it on Front Street? We were on St. Maarten last month and ended up at Gulmohar's on Front Street. Prices were very reasonable as I believe I paid $12.95 for a bottle of Amaretto and about the same for Bailey's. Unfortunately, I forgot to get the Chambord. I will have to do that when we're there in December (which is only a mere 10+ months away. )

Lynne

A friend brought us a bottle back from a vacation. I thought it tasted like cough medicine too! Might try it in jello shots. Once I start doing jello shots I'm not too picky about what I drink.

Where is Ram's located? Is it on Front Street? We were on St. Maarten last month and ended up at Gulmohar's on Front Street. Prices were very reasonable as I believe I paid $12.95 for a bottle of Amaretto and about the same for Bailey's. Unfortunately, I forgot to get the Chambord. I will have to do that when we're there in December (which is only a mere 10+ months away. )

Lynne

I'm sorry but I don't know the name of the street. I do know it is across the street and down a couple stores from Joe's Jewelry. Joe's is a favorite stop of mine ( can't say the same for my husband ;) )

I'm going 4 weeks from today :D so I will try to note the area for you.

Just checked the label on our bottle of quavaberry from Sint Maarten. Bottled under the label of the ``Sint Maarten Quavaberry Company'' in Phillisburg, it's label describes it as ``Our Premium Rum Liqueur'' and also states that the product is 70 proof.

Have had many a Blue Hawaii on our cruises and they can't compare to a mixed drink made from quavaberry. DH & I refer to it as our ``quavaberry juice.'' It has a fruit punch flavor but carries a kick that can sneak up on you. :) It's a fun sneaky ride as long as you have a designated driver ( like the captain and his crew aboard ship).

As 98Charlie posted above, on our next cruise to St. Maarten we will be packing few clothes so we can pack more quavaberry into our luggage. :D

Dianne

Does anybody have any great guavaberry drink recipes that they want to share?! When we were in St. Maarten a couple of years ago, we drank some and loved it, so we bought a bottle. When we got home and drank a shot (just as we drank it in St. Maarten) it tasted (as someone else said) like robitussin. The thought of drinking it makes me cringe;the bottle has been sitting in a cabinet for about two years now. After hearing all of the raves here.....I want to break out the bottle and try it again....so, if you have a great drink recipe, please share it!:D

I'm not sure how much you can bring from St. Maarten. I know from St. Thomas we were allowed 6 liters but of course there was no Guavaberry there. I brought 6 liters from St. Thomas of other booze and my Guavaberry and had no problem...In St. Thomas they box it nicely for you...

So are you wanting me to bring some back for you?

Here are a few recipes for you to try:

Guavaberry colada-Fill blender 1/3 with ice. Add 1 oz. cream of coconut, 3 oz. pineapple juice, 2 oz. Guavaberry, blend and top with fresh pineapple. Most important-grate "fresh" nutmeg on top.

Guavaberry Royale - In a frozen champagne glass pour 1 oz. chilled Guavaberry. Fill glass with cold dry champagne.

Guavaberry Sunset - In a tall glass of ice pour 2 oz. Guavaberry, fill up with 5 oz. fresh grapefruit juice, carefully pour in 1/2 oz. grenadine. Add slice fruit & grate fresh cinnamon on top.

Archived