Miscellaneous Questions about Lindblad/National Geographic Explorer to Antarctica

PattiGe

Miscellaneous Questions about Lindblad/National Geographic Explorer Antarctica expedition

I am getting ready to go to Antarctica on the National Geographic Explorer on January 7. I am pretty much prepared and have read a ton of trip reports on various boards but I have some miscellaneous questions that I have not seen addressed. I usually travel independently and have never been on a cruise, tour or expedition so I'd like to know what to expect. It would be great if someone who took Lindblad can respond, but experiences on other boats would be appreciated as well.

1) What is the drinking water situation on the boat? My understanding is that the cost is included in the trip. Do they leave a set amounts of water bottles in my cabin each day or do I grab my own from some kind of cafe? Both me and my companion always drink A LOT of water (probably 4 liters each a day) and want to make sure we will be getting enough to drink.

2) What sites are included in the Santiago City tour that is part of our trip? Are Cerro San Cristobal or Parque San Luca included? We are arriving one day earlier than everyone else and might explore a bit on our own but don't want to replicate sites?

2) How does the shift system work? There are 148 travelers on the boat and I read that only 100 people are allowed to land at once. Do we all see the same sites? How is it determined who is on the first shift or the second? Is there one you prefer? I would think the first is best so you don't have to wait around.

4) Where is the best place to buy souvenirs? Port Lockroy (assuming we visit), boat shop or is Ushuaia after we disembark? I don't want to rush to buy stuff in the beginning but a lot of people have requested souvenirs from us and don't want to miss my opportunity. Do we have time to buy souvenirs in Ushuaia after we disembark? My understanding is that we would be allowed to explore before our flight back to Santiago but I wanted to be sure.

Miscellaneous Questions about Lindblad/National Geographic Explorer Antarctica expedition

I am getting ready to go to Antarctica on the National Geographic Explorer on January 7. I am pretty much prepared and have read a ton of trip reports on various boards but I have some miscellaneous questions that I have not seen addressed. I usually travel independently and have never been on a cruise, tour or expedition so I'd like to know what to expect. It would be great if someone who took Lindblad can respond, but experiences on other boats would be appreciated as well.

1) What is the drinking water situation on the boat? My understanding is that the cost is included in the trip. Do they leave a set amounts of water bottles in my cabin each day or do I grab my own from some kind of cafe? Both me and my companion always drink A LOT of water (probably 4 liters each a day) and want to make sure we will be getting enough to drink.

2) What sites are included in the Santiago City tour that is part of our trip? Are Cerro San Cristobal or Parque San Luca included? We are arriving one day earlier than everyone else and might explore a bit on our own but don't want to replicate sites?

2) How does the shift system work? There are 148 travelers on the boat and I read that only 100 people are allowed to land at once. Do we all see the same sites? How is it determined who is on the first shift or the second? Is there one you prefer? I would think the first is best so you don't have to wait around.

4) Where is the best place to buy souvenirs? Port Lockroy (assuming we visit), boat shop or is Ushuaia after we disembark? I don't want to rush to buy stuff in the beginning but a lot of people have requested souvenirs from us and don't want to miss my opportunity. Do we have time to buy souvenirs in Ushuaia after we disembark? My understanding is that we would be allowed to explore before our flight back to Santiago but I wanted to be sure.

I was on the Professor Multanovskiy this month and we had all the bottle water we wanted at no extra charge, but we also had an open bar.

http://cid-f6fe23a6e5a9ec3f.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/ANTARCTICA?sa=653525048

Since there were only 25 of us we each did a busy two landings a day. Your group might be divided and two groups daily so you each got one landing hopefully.

I would buy soveneirs at Port Lockroy and on the ship. I hope you get to Paradise Bay and maybe they will let you off at Brown landing so you can say you set foot on the Antarctic continent.(peninsula)

1) What is the drinking water situation on the boat?

We were on the predecessor for the Explorer - the Endeavor - so it wasn't the same ship, but there was plenty of bottled water aboard & it was free.

2) What sites are included in the Santiago City tour that is part of our trip?

We skipped the Santiago tour to spend more time in Buenos Aires so I can't help. We did a private tour in Santiago during the layover after the cruise. We were not excited by Santiago & pleased we spent extra time in B.A.

2) How does the shift system work?

Our ship had less than 100 pax so I can't help but based on posts about shifts on other ships, I would predict it is handled well.

4) Where is the best place to buy souvenirs?

Port Lockroy had a few things we bought. Our favorite souvenirs were from Palmer Station, the U.S. research station, but you can't count on stopping there. There was lots of time in Ushuaia after disembarking and lots of shops.

Archived