Considering solo/singles cruise for 1st time.

mgg42

In order to make it through the winter with my sanity (somewhat) intact, I NEED to get out of the cold, and away from work for a week. And a cruise is really the best way to do it.

I'm a single male in my mid-thirties, and I usually travel with friends. However, this winter is the "perfect storm" of bad timing! Family commitments, newborns, job changes and a myriad of other circumstances have left me without a travel companion.

I think it's actually fine, as I have traveled solo before, but never a cruise. While I'm sure I'll love it and want to do it again, I'm just a little hesitant. I kind of feel like the skydiver who is about to go for the first time and knows he's going to love it- but just can't seem to get himself to take the leap!

So here are a few questions:

Like I said, I'm a single male in my mid-thirties. I'm interested in meeting people, but also perfectly content to have some time to myself. I would certainly want my own cabin. I'm not really interested in "hooking up", but it would be nice to meet some people to socialize with (i.e. drinks, dinner, on board or shore activities).

Are the hosted singled cruises going to appeal to me? Or are they geared more towards people trying to meet someone for romance?

Will I find many other people in my age range traveling this way? Or am I likely to be the youngest on a singles cruise?

If I can't find a hosted singles cruise that works with my schedule, what has been your experience in simply booking a solo cruise and then trying to meet people to socialize with on board?

I guess these are kind of vague questions, but I think I am just looking for some encouragement and reassurance before I "take the leap"!

Thanks all and Happy New Year!

I did a solo cruise to the Mediterranean area last September on RCI. Althought the ship does have Singles Mixers not all the Singles show up. I found this out when I ran into another single woman on one of my excursions.

There are cruises for specific age groups. I would look into those first and see if they're schedule fits with your schedule.

You're going to be paying a single supplement between 150-200%.

Make sure you don't travel during a holiday week because you will find more families on board.

You could I guess see if there's a meet & mingle already set up for the cruise you're considering. You could look and see if there are other singles but you won't know how old they are.

There are always more single older women on cruise ships.

I have been on 2 cruises.

The first cruise I went solo on the Carnival Conquest.

Carnival had singles get togethers on the scheduled but I was the only person that showed up. Overall I had fun but I had to work hard to meet people

The second cruise was on the Carnival Freedom with one of the large singles cruise groups.

The singles group made a huge difference. I was meeting people via their web site in the weeks before we set sail. Meeting people was very easy.

It was like going to college without the classes.

I strongly recommend a hosted singles cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

mgg,

well, just starting a thread in this forum is the first step towards meeting people...

I highly / strongly recommend you joining a roll call thread for the ship and sail date for your cruise.. its a wonderful way to correspond with people that will be going on the same cruise that you will.

I can understand your hesitance/reluctance.. that's normal to experience, however, I am quite confident that you will find as a single/solo traveler, that you will have an excellent time and more freedom to do as you please.

When you join the roll call thread for your ship and sail date, you can also sign up for the meet and mingle that the ship staff will host. thats really cool to do as it gives you a chance to meet the people you chatted with in the roll call forum.

Additionally, using the singles forum and solo traveler forum on this website on a regular or semi regular basis will help you learn about many issues /ideas that are inherent to the single or solo traveler.

I personally plan to travel solo/single and I am excited about it.. now, the only problem is, picking which cruise to go on!!!!!!!!

Have a fun time.

Remember, as long as you remain open minded and positive, anything can happen and you will have a good time!!!!! :)

I just returned from my 2nd solo sailing. I was on a ship with 2,000 people sailing to the Mexican Riviera.

Most of the single women on board are over the age of 45, or even 50. There was a group of single men traveling together, their age around 25-30.

Most of the ship were couples or families traveling together.

If you want to make sure there are singles your age, do a hosted singles cruise. Othewise, you may find yourself in the minority.

Archived