Island Escape - What are the flights like?

Lizzim

Hello,

New here and about to take our first cruise on the Island Escape. My boyfriend and I (28 & 29) and his parents will be flying out from Bournemouth on 29th January. We were wondering what the Thomson flights are like?

Thanks,

Lizzi

Hi Lizzi,

We flew out with Thomson's to her from Manchester. It took just over 4 hours. I'm 5foot 10 and legroom was OK, but eldest son is 6 foot 3 and was a bit cramped for him. We should have booked extra legroom one for him.

Had plenty of time to do all the usual stuff, food, duty free, inflight movie etc.

The plane was an Airbus 320 and had 6 seats across, 3 on each side of the centre aisle.

It takes about 45 minutes by coach from Tenerife airport to the ship.

Berwyn

Hi sorry to tell you this but my family and i just got back from hell on the island escape. Not fit for purpose is what i say and a captain or puppet with no back bone at all.

We flew out on the 18th Dec for two weeks. At airport one of our new cases was in bits we reported it and boarded the coach. At port we meet upi with our luggage again and found another case had been damaged between airport and port. We boarded the ship and went to our cabins on deck 6. Opened the door and oh my god, what a state.Small, old tatty decor, smelly bathroom / toilet, and no wardrobe doors just a dirty curtain.

Well we thought lets just get on and have fun. My children had the top bunks and my wife and i were on the bottom bunks. Top bunks not that safe so i jammed the ladders between the mattress and bunk frame to protect children.

We set sail for Gran Canaria. A bit of a bumpy ride and it was a nice day on that island.

Then we set sail at 6pm to travel the La palma only 71 miles away. We docked at 8am so 14 hours at sea. La palma was all closed because of being a Sunday so no real point going. We the set sail to Maderia, a few hours in to the cruise and the captain said the port is closed because of the weather so we were heading for Cadiz in Spain. 60+ hours at sea in shocking conditions. Nothing to do on ship during the day but wait for the evening shows. One day into that journey the captain said Cadiz is closed and we will be heading straight for Malaga in Spain. During this time all deck 6 toilets stopped working. No waste was leaving your cabin an d the smell was very bad. I have children so i was not at all happy. The customer relation desk were useless. At Malaga at 9pm the captain said anyone whos toilet is not working can spend the night at a hotel in Malaga.We had 1 hour to eat, grab a overnight bag and our children at get off the ship.

As it was the hotel was nice, so nice infact i want them not to fix the problem so we could stay there instead of going back on to that tug boat. As it was they said they fixed the problem.(no they did not). The next day we set sail for Almeria only 100 or so miles away. We left Malaga at 3pm and got to Almeria at 9am Xmas day, that was a nice day. 6pm we set sail to Gibraltar 150 miles away. On reaching Gibraltar at 9am we were told by the captain that the port was closed and we would wait for it to be open. The captain addressed the passenger and said we need fuel so we must wait here, but he could not tell us how long we would wait, 1 day 2 days we did not know. At 7.50pm that day we got into port. Everything was closed we stayed over night so we had the next day in Gib. We then set sail at 6pm to travel to Casablanca 200 miles away. We docked in a container port at 9am this is a real hell hole. You must visit to believe.

6pm we set sail to Lanzarote 110 miles away, this took 36 hours and this was in very rough Atlantic seas not so good at all. Lanzarote was nice but again we left at 6pm to travel 50 miles to Tenerife and we got there a 9am. This ship spent more hours at sea just plodding around this was all to save money by staying out of ports. Thompson should be ashamed to put there name against this tug. You tried to complain but no-one was interested , no Thompsons Rep anywhere, This was the holiday from hell and has put us off cruising for life. We signed a pettion on board ship along with 300 other cabins to complain about this dirty out dated unsafe rust bucket of a tug. The only plus was the staff. WOW fantastic our cabin assistant was called Sudiana he kept us going. A real credit, he better than the ship full stop. it even says something when a officer aboard the ship says he would like to take this ship 12 miles out a sink the bugger lol.

we wasted £6500 and our xmas aboard this tug. Thompson beware im coming for ya

oh happy new year

I know all the Christmas cruisers had a disatorous cruise because of the bad weather and other problems. But we have sailed on her twice now and had a great time as a family. I can only speak as we found it, but we had 2 cabins, 1 on deck 9 and 1 on deck 4 for the boys. Both were fine. And the staff, food and especially the entertainment staff were great.

We have sailed on her in the Atlantic and the Med.

Berwyn

Archived