Jewel of the Seas ~~ Ultimate /Caribe ~~ Did you like it?

Good Afternoon - LindaMae -

We booked the Jewel Ult. Caribbean cruise the beginning of December. We had not been to some of the ports. It was our first time to Colombia, even at the beginning of Dec being so close to the equator it was hot. We did the walking tour of Old Town, we felt it was a bit long for 102 degrees F. I was not impressed with either Panama or Costa Rica. I really think it depends on the tours you plan. I would do something that gets away from the port area in both places. The cruise itself was a blast, thanks to a great group from CC. It was worth the money for what we paid for the cruise.

We did essentially the same itinerary on the Brilliance a few years ago. We are also booked on the 11 day "Ultimate" on April 5th 2010. We loved Panama as we did the 2 Ocean Rail Tour. The canal is a must see. In Limon we did the Tortuguero Canal tour and we loved that as well. We have never been to Colombia so it will be a first.

Presently there are 5 aft cabins available for the April 5th cruise. It is also a C&A cruise.

We did this trip last January, and LOVED IT. The ports were all nice, especially zip-lining in Costa Rica. Weather was very good too. The Jewel is a fine ship; one of the best in the fleet. Same with the crew.

Since this is a longer cruise, it tends to draw an older crowd. Late-night nightlife is very slow. So if this a high priority, be advised. Lots of scooters in the hallways also.

This cruise is one of our favorites. Book it!

Thanks for all the input. We have gone through the canal on the Sernade, and just thought this would be different. Since Europe is soooo expensive this was on alternative.

The Canal tour in Limon sounds good. What about the other rail if we have been through the canal.

Thanks people- And as to scooters we were on the Oasis in December and there were lots of them there too!! :)

Oh wow Bill I just saw you were a fire fighter. You guys must be a little younger to--and still enjoyed the cruise--great!! My son is also a fire fighter and dil trains paramedics. Today they leave for New Zealand and 2 weeks on the the Rhapsody---14 hrs to long to fly for me!! :D

The Canal tour in Limon sounds good. What about the other rail if we have been through the canal.

We did the coast to coast train trip in Panama. It was okay, but less than I had anticipated. You take a coach bus from Colon to Panama City. Actually the bus trip was better than the train trip (more detailed touring of the canal zone).

Once in Panama City you board the train for the return trip to Colon. We did the dome car. The air conditioning failed, and the car became hot. Most passengers said they thought the regular cars were as good as the dome car.

The train goes through the jungle, therfore there are very few sites to see other than vegetation. Maybe the hot commute soured our opinion of this excursion. But I don't think it was worth the money.

We were strongly considering the domed rail car trip.:confused: Was there a chance to get near the Pacific O and maybe touch the water or are you restricted getting off the bus and into the rail car? I thought it would be a good chance to see the country and the canal. I may need to reconsider. My teenage kids may get bored and I'll never hear the end. Thanks for any info. Any ideas for zip lines in Costa Rica?

We did the 11 night in March and had a great time. I can't comment on things to do in Panama as we stayed on the ship for the transit (both ways), and I understand the Jewel no longer transits the Gatun Locks.

However, we did private tours with other CCers in Columbia (Lee Miles) and Costa Rica (Charlie Soto) and would highly recommend both. The price was better than anything the ship offered and I think we got a better experience overall.

The Jewel is a beautiful ship and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Archived