Insurance?

Ivy1908

Well I guess you need to assess: what are the chances of bad weather meaning you miss your flight - which wd mean a delay of nearly 24 hours I suppose? I don't know. That would have to be a major snowfall. But ILL in the winter? Possible perhaps. Would $250 each be enough to compensate? I doubt it. But your call.

My basic point I think is this: if the prospect of a missed connection (delayed flight missing ship) is an important risk for you, make sure your policy gives adequate protection. I don't think $250 is anything like enough to cover extra costs to rejoin cruise plus compensation for missed cruise days.

But maybe others disagree?

Well I guess you need to assess: what are the chances of bad weather meaning you miss your flight - which wd mean a delay of nearly 24 hours I suppose? I don't know. That would have to be a major snowfall. But ILL in the winter? Possible perhaps. Would $250 each be enough to compensate? I doubt it. But your call.

My basic point I think is this: if the prospect of a missed connection (delayed flight missing ship) is an important risk for you, make sure your policy gives adequate protection. I don't think $250 is anything like enough to cover extra costs to rejoin cruise plus compensation for missed cruise days.

But maybe others disagree?

Ok, maybe I'll look to see if this can be upgraded? :confused: Thanks!

We are flying in from ILL but we will be flying in the day before the cruise arriving at 3:30pm. The coverage is at $250. Do you think this is ok for us in this case?:eek:

The Policy itself looks OK to me, particularly for your needs. The Medical coverage is PRIMARY which is helpful if you have to submit a claim and have your own health insurance.

WRT the "Cancel for Any Reason", be aware of the wording that the Policy covers up to 75% of the non-refundable costs and you can only cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure. You also HAVE to insure the FULL amount of cruisefare and airfare (round upward!) and purchase the Policy w/in21 days of cruise deposit to get this coverage.

Check the Policy (or call) - I believe your Missed Connection coverage doubles to $500 if you purchase within 21 days of cruise deposit - this is the case with the Premier Assist Policy.

I also believe (cruiseco comment??) that delay in reaching cruise port or catching up with departed cruise is also covered under Trip Interruption coverage (I'll revisit this when I get a chance later today)????

Flying the day before is a great idea; maybe printout schedules with back-up flights. Also try to get a Hotel that will let you cancel up to the very last minute.

ken

The Policy itself looks OK to me, particularly for your needs. The Medical coverage is PRIMARY which is helpful if you have to submit a claim and have your own health insurance.

WRT the "Cancel for Any Reason", be aware of the wording that the Policy covers up to 75% of the non-refundable costs and you can only cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure. You also HAVE to insure the FULL amount of cruisefare and airfare (round upward!) and purchase the Policy w/in21 days of cruise deposit to get this coverage.

Check the Policy (or call) - I believe your Missed Connection coverage doubles to $500 if you purchase within 21 days of cruise deposit - this is the case with the Premier Assist Policy.

I also believe (cruiseco comment??) that delay in reaching cruise port or catching up with departed cruise is also covered under Trip Interruption coverage (I'll revisit this when I get a chance later today)????

Flying the day before is a great idea; maybe printout schedules with back-up flights. Also try to get a Hotel that will let you cancel up to the very last minute.

ken

Yea all that seems to be what I read too....not sure about the missed connection coverage doubling though. Yes, we are flying in the day before the cruise to arrive at 3:30pm. We are looking to stay at that La Quinta Inn near the port and airport as we get a discount there. Do you know anything about this hotel? Good choice?

Yea all that seems to be what I read too....not sure about the missed connection coverage doubling though. Yes, we are flying in the day before the cruise to arrive at 3:30pm. We are looking to stay at that La Quinta Inn near the port and airport as we get a discount there. Do you know anything about this hotel? Good choice?

I checked the protect Assist Gold Policy and YES, if you buy policy within 15 days of cruise deposit, the Missed Connection benefit doubles from $250 to $500. The $500 coverage is about as good as it gets!

The only substantial difference I could find between Protect Assist Gold and Protect Assist Premier is that the Gold requires purchase within 15 days of cruise deposit and Premier gives you 21 days of cruise Deposit, both to get:

• doubled Missed Connection Coverage,
  • Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions,
  • included Flight AD&D coverage
  • and to get the Cancel for Any Reason option

I've read good and bad about LaQuinta. Check the reviews on TripAdvisor (fort Lauderdale). We have two nites at the Crown Plaza booked.

You WILL give some feed back on La Quinta and the Freedom???

ken

............The base Custom and base Freestyle plans do not cover pre-existing medical conditions. To get that additional benefit you have to step up to the more expensive Luxe version and purchase a policy no later than the final payment date of your cruise.

Everything I have from CSA shows that Freestyle includes the Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions. The reason I've been using Freestyle is the Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions and the specific Missed Connection coverage.

Having said that, I HAVE been considering the TravelGuard Premier Assist package.

ken

I checked the protect Assist Gold Policy and YES, if you buy policy within 15 days of cruise deposit, the Missed Connection benefit doubles from $250 to $500. The $500 coverage is about as good as it gets!

The only substantial difference I could find between Protect Assist Gold and Protect Assist Premier is that the Gold requires purchase within 15 days of cruise deposit and Premier gives you 21 days of cruise Deposit, both to get:

• doubled Missed Connection Coverage,
  • Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions,
  • included Flight AD&D coverage
  • and to get the Cancel for Any Reason option

I've read good and bad about LaQuinta. Check the reviews on TripAdvisor (fort Lauderdale). We have two nites at the Crown Plaza booked.

You WILL give some feed back on La Quinta and the Freedom???

ken

Perfect! I think this is the one my sis and I will be getting. We do have a connecting flight in ATL that is at 35-40 mins but they do have other flights that leave a few hours later too so if by any channce we miss the connection flight we should still be good. (We arrive in Ft lauderdale the day b4 our cruise in March.)

We just booked the cruise and flights last nite so we should be good to book the insurance in the next few days and be well within the 15 day time frame.

I've heard mixed reviews also but as long as we have a clean room and can walk to the store and restuarants we should be ok for 1 nite! Plus we get a discount there so all is good to book that soon as well!

Now we just have to get these apps sent off for our passports and we are on our way!

Yes, I will def give a review of the hotel and the Freedom and hopefully post a ton of pics of both!

Thanks so much for all your help again! I sooooo appreciate it :D Only 57 days to go til our Sista Girl Birthday Cruise!!!! Yay...Can u tell Im excited? :p

Perfect! I think this is the one my sis and I will be getting. We do have a connecting flight in ATL that is at 35-40 mins but they do have other flights that leave a few hours later too so if by any channce we miss the connection flight we should still be good. (We arrive in Ft lauderdale the day b4 our cruise in March.)

We just booked the cruise and flights last nite so we should be good to book the insurance in the next few days and be well within the 15 day time frame.

I've heard mixed reviews also but as long as we have a clean room and can walk to the store and restuarants we should be ok for 1 nite! Plus we get a discount there so all is good to book that soon as well!

Now we just have to get these apps sent off for our passports and we are on our way!

Yes, I will def give a review of the hotel and the Freedom and hopefully post a ton of pics of both!

Thanks so much for all your help again! I sooooo appreciate it :D Only 57 days to go til our Sista Girl Birthday Cruise!!!! Yay...Can u tell Im excited? :p

That connection, particularly in Atlanta, seems a bit tight. If there's any (inexpensive) way to change to a later connection that might save some stress.

Cutting it a bit close on the Passports?????

You hide the excitement well.

Have you selected/booked Excursions?

ken

That connection, particularly in Atlanta, seems a bit tight. If there's any (inexpensive) way to change to a later connection that might save some stress.

Cutting it a bit close on the Passports?????

You hide the excitement well.

Have you selected/booked Excursions?

ken

Yea I know but hopefully it works out ok and they do have other flights out but they get in way later at like 11pm. So, if we do happen to miss it then I guess we'll have to hop on one of those :rolleyes: but I think we should be ok barring anything unforeseen:eek:.

Passports are taking about 5-6 weeks now to process. Cruise is in 8 weeks so we should be ok. And if not, we can always easily get another copy of our BC and travel with that is necessary. I hope to send off the apps tomorrow or Monday at the latest....fingers crossed!

We havent booked excursions yet. We have a late flight home so we were thinking of doing the Everglades tour. We want to do a Dunns Falls/Beach one and maybe a Stingray or Dolphin Encounter one in Ochos Rios and the Caymen Islands. We'll prob just shop and walk around in Key West since I've been there before. Any suggestions?

Yea I know but hopefully it works out ok and they do have other flights out but they get in way later at like 11pm. So, if we do happen to miss it then I guess we'll have to hop on one of those :rolleyes: but I think we should be ok barring anything unforeseen:eek:.

Passports are taking about 5-6 weeks now to process. Cruise is in 8 weeks so we should be ok. And if not, we can always easily get another copy of our BC and travel with that is necessary. I hope to send off the apps tomorrow or Monday at the latest....fingers crossed!

We havent booked excursions yet. We have a late flight home so we were thinking of doing the Everglades tour. We want to do a Dunns Falls/Beach one and maybe a Stingray or Dolphin Encounter one in Ochos Rios and the Caymen Islands. We'll prob just shop and walk around in Key West since I've been there before. Any suggestions?

Maybe arrange the Birth Certificates anyway, just in case?

Everglades tour in FLL, Stringrays in Grand Caymen and walking the town in Key West would all be good. We have Freedom 8-day Panama (Panama Canal Ferry to the Pacific), costa Rica (White Water Rafting) and Cozumel (Clear Kayaking) in a YEAR.

ken

Maybe arrange the Birth Certificates anyway, just in case?

Everglades tour in FLL, Stringrays in Grand Caymen and walking the town in Key West would all be good. We have Freedom 8-day Panama (Panama Canal Ferry to the Pacific), costa Rica (White Water Rafting) and Cozumel (Clear Kayaking) in a YEAR.

ken

Yea we will prob do that. Its pretty easy to get BC because we both live in the same county we were born so its just a matter of goin to the clerks office and paying for one.

I dont think we are going to get that "Cancel for any reason" upgrade. I read it again and yea it only covers 50 or 75% anyway. I think the package should be enough for our needs for this cruise.

Your excursions sound fun....and a lil dangerous! Neither of us can swim so we will stick to the more relaxing water activities :D

Sounds fun!

Yea we will prob do that. Its pretty easy to get BC because we both live in the same county we were born so its just a matter of goin to the clerks office and paying for one.

I dont think we are going to get that "Cancel for any reason" upgrade. I read it again and yea it only covers 50 or 75% anyway. I think the package should be enough for our needs for this cruise. Also, the policy pays the single supplement if your traveling companion Cancels (or is interrupted) for a covered reason!!!!

Your excursions sound fun....and a lil dangerous! Neither of us can swim so we will stick to the more relaxing water activities :D

Sounds fun!

ken

ken

Oh ok. I think we are going with the Gold Package and it comes to about $89 for the both of us. Not bad at all. Will be booking it this week so we come in within the 15 day deposit clause too.

We sent off our passport apps on Saturday and the guy said we had plenty of time so not to worry.

Also, I noticed that our connecting flight to ATL is the same flight # from STL. So, do you think we are on the same plane? Is that possible? (Maybe we wont even have to get off the plane) :confused:

Oh ok. I think we are going with the Gold Package and it comes to about $89 for the both of us. Not bad at all. Will be booking it this week so we come in within the 15 day deposit clause too. I don't think $45 pp is bad! Make sure you purchase w/in the 14 or 15 days!!

We sent off our passport apps on Saturday and the guy said we had plenty of time so not to worry.

Also, I noticed that our connecting flight to ATL is the same flight # from STL. So, do you think we are on the same plane? Is that possible? (Maybe we wont even have to get off the plane) sounds like you're correct - that would be REALLY good news! :confused:

Ken

Yea I thought the insurance price was quite a deal!:D Thanks for suggesting the websites. We will be sure to grab that early this week for sure!

Yea it looks like we lucked out with the flights too! That would be awesome if we didnt even have to de-board and could just stay on the plane since it looks like the same flight.:)

Archived