Century: Sports deck or Penthouse deck?

Gary B

I was wondering if anyone can give any thoughts or tips. We are going on Century Caribbean this coming Christmas (24 dec - 2 jan). We are going for a sky suite which looks and sounds great.

There is an option to have one on the Penthouse Deck or on the Sports Deck. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on which is better? It looks like the balcony may be bigger or have more light as nothing covering it like there is on Penthouse deck.

Thanks for any advice!

Gary

Choose Sports Deck without a doubt. Yes - the verandahs are 3X bigger than the sky suites on Penthouse Deck.

Also, the Sports Deck is more exclusive because there are so few suites and staterooms - it affords much more quiet and much less pax traffic.

I would not get a sky suite in C-class (Mercury, Galaxy, Century) unless I could procure one on that 12th (Sports/Sky) Deck.

The Sports deck Skys have partial cover, so there's some shade/privacy if that's something you look for. The lower "Sky" suites used to be called just plain Suites, but now they're all called Sky, you have to be careful. The lower deck suites are the same cabin but have a small, narrow veranda. For someone wanting more privacy and less sun, that's great. If you want more space, partial shade/privacy and more sun, and fewer cabins around you, go for the upper suites. There are also 2 smaller cabins, 1200 and 1201 I believe, that are in a lower price range but have most of the benefits of the Sky Suites next to them (except slightly smaller cabin and veranda.) If price is a concern, they might be an attractive option. We've had 4 Skys and 1 Royal and we LOVE the Skys! The Veranda is larger than my living room (sad to say.) ;>

Cheers,

Kirsten

It's also a perfect location! We were in 1206 and couldn't have asked for a better first cruise.

The next cruise (Millennium) we have a much smaller stateroom and balcony (2B) but I'm not complaining...at least we were able to get one of the largest 2B balconys.

Denise

These postings have been so helpful. Also also so fast! I am more used to the Cunard boards on CC where postings take a while to get replies - but here on the Celebrity boards it is very quick indeed.

We have got Sky Suite 1205 on Century - and so based on the postings sounds like it will be great position and size!

Gary

You have made a wise decision! You will adore your deck 12 balcony.

Yes...the SS gets all of the CC perks with the addition of the butler. It isn't clearly pointed out in the suite perks but they are definately there.

The only negative about having a Celebrity suite is that you won't want to cruise any other way afterwards! You're gonna love it.

:)

Rick

You do get all the nice little extras, plus a few more as I recall like being able to jump the line for tenders (at your own risk, mind you! ;>) and having a special check-in desk. In the old days, suite passengers also had their own "Special Friends" cocktail party, extra little gifts like special chocolates and larger tote bags and so on, but those days are gone. That's okay; I'd still take a Century-class Sky Suite over any other cabin anyday! Rick is right - you get spoiled for life. :>

Cheers,

Kirsten

We were in suite 1222 on the sports deck last May - what a joy that trip was. You will not want to leave the veranda - we took afternoon naps on the lounge chairs, enjoyed afternoon tea in the shade, and loved looking out at the activity on the islands as we were in port. I like the even numbered cabins because that side of the ship was where we could see all the shore activities and other ships in port. A warning, we weren't paying attention as the ship docked in St. Maartin. I was doing my hair at the desk area and looked up to see a ship across from our varanda, so close, we could see inside their cabins while they could see us. In other words, be careful dressing that morning!

• 2 weeks later...
I'd still take a Century-class Sky Suite over any other cabin anyday! Rick is right - you get spoiled for life. :>

Cheers,

Kirsten

I dunno. Check the link below for pictures. We've picked a SS on the Sky deck (1203) of the Galaxy for a 12 nt. in December '05 -- trying to approximate the comfort of the FV cabins we like on the M-Class ships now that X has abandoned the "Ultimate Caribbean" runs next winter. The FV cabins are bigger than the Sky Suites and the verandas are larger than most of the cabins on the boat (no kidding!)... and cost a fair bit less. If you ever find yourself booking an M-Class, give one of these your consideration. If you don't need the extra perks, the extra space is fantastic.

The Sports deck Skys have partial cover, so there's some shade/privacy if that's something you look for. The lower "Sky" suites used to be called just plain Suites, but now they're all called Sky, you have to be careful. The lower deck suites are the same cabin but have a small, narrow veranda. For someone wanting more privacy and less sun, that's great. If you want more space, partial shade/privacy and more sun, and fewer cabins around you, go for the upper suites. There are also 2 smaller cabins, 1200 and 1201 I believe, that are in a lower price range but have most of the benefits of the Sky Suites next to them (except slightly smaller cabin and veranda.) If price is a concern, they might be an attractive option. We've had 4 Skys and 1 Royal and we LOVE the Skys! The Veranda is larger than my living room (sad to say.) ;>

Cheers,

Kirsten

There are actually four of those smaller cabins on the sky deck, 1200,1201, 1240 and 1241 and they are now Concierge cabins. They used to be plain cat. 2 cabins on the Mercury and Galaxy and were one of the best kept secrets on Celebrity at the time. Verandas about the same size as the suites but no butler service.

Don

You switched cruises racefan - started a thread for the Century 2-26-05 and you quit!!!!

My wife couldn't get off work the week of 2/26, so we rebooked for two weeks later. I'm already anxious to go! These next six weeks are going to be tough!

Dreamer58,

We're signed up for the cruise critic party. Now we're making sure our friends that are traveling with us sign up also. Looking forward to it, especially since it's snowing again and we're in an extended cold period here.

We have got Sky Suite 1205 on Century - and so based on the postings sounds like it will be great position and size!

Gary,

We had 1205 on the Century back in August 2003 (7 night, Eastern Caribbean). If Raj is your butler, you will be well taken care of.

An oiutstanding perk of the suite is the free access to the Thelassotherapy Pool in the Spa. I spent every morning in there before coming back to the suite and greeting Raj as he delivered our breakfast to the verandah.

He noticed the pint of Mango rum and the pint of blue curacao we bought in St. Martin, and he had a complete bar setup in our suite that afternoon.

Enjoy,

Bill

Archived