Need help with my itinerary - please?

lmt1022

My husband and I (in our 40's) will be arriving in Anchorage (from Florida) on a Sunday evening in June. He will be with me until Friday morning - this was as long as he could take as he has to head back to work. Friday evening, my daughter and Mom will be arriving and we will be cruising SB on Princess. I have previoiusly been to Alaska but have only done the cruise portion and would really like to see as much as Alaska as I can (I doubt I will be able to come to Alaska for many years as we are planning our next cruise to be in Australia?)

So, Basically I have 5 nights and 4 full days to plan for inland touring when my husband is here.

I would really like to take the shuttle into Denali, but I also want to do the Kenai Tour in Seward. We plan to rent a car in Anchorage Sunday evening and keep it until that Friday morning.

My plan was to:

Sunday: Spend night in Anchorage (plane is supposed to arrive at 6:30)

Monday: Drive to Denali - stop at Visitors Center, dog sleds, etc.

Tuesday: Take shuttle into Denali - spend night in Denali?

Wednesday: Drive to Seward (or drive to ANC and then leave early morning to get to Seward for Kenai Tour??)

Thursday: Take Kenai Tour - drive back to Anchorage that evening

Friday: Take DH to airport early morning and then pick up Mom and daughter that evening - spend night in Anchorage

Saturday: Take train to Whittier and take PWS tour and then board ship that evening

Cruise that week to Vancouver

Saturday: Tour Vancouver and pend night

Sunday: Fly home

Does this seem doable and worthhile? I know the driving seems like a lot - but, my husband and I can share the driving time and we're used to driving 9 hours in a day to our cabin in SC.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

OK, you are short on time.

I suggest you only consider the Denali Park shuttle bus to Eielson. An early time, will be back mid afternoon. Then drive yourself to Talkeetna for the overnight. The next day you can drive to Seward, with the ability to stop for some sightseeing along the way. Plan on spending the day.

However, you have to be prepared for a possible foul weather Kenai Fjords cancelation, and reason, I recommend you consider the 8am boat tour to reserve, this then gives you 2 more to consider, if the 8am doen't go.

Overall, you have too much time on the road compared to the destinations. But with your priorities, you may want to consider, what I suggest.

As a side note, I've been to Austrailia/New Zealand twice. There have been excellent later booking deals, I took advantage of, with significant savings- last trip, a year ago, $2100pp with air from NY and 14 day cruise. :) So keep your eyes open.

Thanks for the input Budget Queen,

That's a good idea...

I had also considered the reverse:

Driving to Seward the night we arrive (early evening) and then going to the early am Kenai Fjords tour - spending time there and then maybe checking out the Exit Glacier.

The next morning driving to Talkeetna.

The following day drive to Denali and go to Visitors Center and such and spend night.

Then Thursday morning take the early Eilsen shuttle - then drive back to Anchorage for the following morning's flight.

Again, this is still a lot of driving, but it would be broken up a bit. I am just concerned that we will be tired after the shuttle into Denali (plus it adds on another different hotel, so more packing....

Decisions, decisions....

Thanks also for the info regarding the Australian cruise - Wow what a price. $2100 is what we are looking at for the flight alone!

Archived