Help for Aussie Family US Holiday

rugbypopsie

So I probably need to look at a Caribbean cruise if I go for Orlando?

Yes you would need to look at a Caribbean cruise. The cruises leave out of Ft Lauderdale, FL or Miami. They are only a 30 min drive from eachtoher. Now if you are looking for a more relaxing cruise I would suggest a western Caribbean or Eastern Caribbean. If you are looking for a more port intensive cruise which is a new port every day, then I would look at the Southern Caribbean. I think most southern caribbean cruises go out of San Juan Puerto Rico so that would probably through a wrench in it. My first option out of Florida would be the Western Caribbean. My last western Caribbean cruise went out of Ft Lauderdale we stopped off in Ocho Rios jamaica, Grand Cayman Islands, and Cozumel Mexico....and Princess Cays (private island in the bahamas.) Anymore Confusion?? Good luck in your planning.

I guess the problem is the spread of ages down to 4 year old!

I dont think the littlies are up to day after day of Disney anything without major melt down. Hubbie and I like sea days...Action Man (eldest son) has not cruised but thinks he will be bored (lol).

I can see us needing to split up with one group going one way and the others another and meeting up later.

Chin up Miss Jolly we all have our problems...I am ignoring mine by doing what I prefer to do...researching cruises:D

I've changed my mind for you after I registered 7 and 4 year olds :eek:

Forget the long flight....even to Hawaii. Do a South Pac with them all out of Sydney, then come to South America with us :D Mark can come to South America too if he wants :p

I dont think the littlies are up to day after day of Disney anything without major melt down. Hubbie and I like sea days...Action Man (eldest son) has not cruised but thinks he will be bored (lol).

I can see us needing to split up with one group going one way and the others another and meeting up later.

Chin up Miss Jolly we all have our problems...I am ignoring mine by doing what I prefer to do...researching cruises:D

Oh I'm doing OK thanks. I just meant that it's a fun but tough decision deciding where to go. It was a tongue in cheek comment:p

I wouldn't give up on te Disney idea re the 4 & 7 year olds as I think the young ones will love it. You could do it at whatever pace you like - maybe even stay on site so that they can go back to the room for a rest (with a tired adult) whilst the older ones keep on going. It is truly a magical place for all ages. One of my fondest memories of all the travelling we have done is watching the expressions of my then 10 and 12 year olds as they watched the Disney fireworks at Cinderella's castle. Maybe Princess cruising will not be right for Action Man - maybe one of the larger Royal carribean ships that come with rock walls, ice skating rinks, surf flow riders etc would suit him. Just a thought. I am really curious as to what you will decide.

I've changed my mind for you after I registered 7 and 4 year olds :eek:

Forget the long flight....even to Hawaii. Do a South Pac with them all out of Sydney, then come to South America with us :D Mark can come to South America too if he wants :p

That's why we are staging things...dont worry I am going to slip in a cruise somewhere along the line!!! Love my grand daughters but do I want to do 14 flight with them...probably not...we will try and get seated elsewhere...I dont even want to fly that long..unfortunately the pacific plates are not bringing the USA any closer fast enough.

We were discussing Sth America tonight...I have lotto tickets for Tuesday..I will keep you posted!:D Macchu Piccu for him Cape Horn for me:eek:

The four year old should be fine for the rides. There is something for every age....it's too good for kids [just joking] I did four days there with two grandchildren and we didn't get to see everything. It's just the most marvellous place

If you think the 4 & 7 year olds would cope with the flight to LA I would go with that option. I have been several times to Disneyland and my most memorable moment was when a little girl (probably 3 or 4) came face to face with Mickey in his house. She was literally shaking with excitement and couldnt believe she was there. I dare say it's an experience she will never forget :D

Trying to stick to your 2 week time frame I would suggest 2 nights in LA/Hollywood to do Universal Studios, drive to Las Vegas for 2-3 nights then drive back to Anaheim for 2-3 nights at Disneyland. Then of course the cruise to relax.

If you decide the flight is too long I would go with Debs suggestion of ditching Hawaii and doing a South Pacific cruise. You'll save a small fortune not paying for the 8 airfares to Hawaii and the beaches there are stunning.

But whatever you decide I'm sure it will be a great time with all your family :D

Ok so this is the Princess board but have you peeked at the Disney board. You can do 4 days at Disney World and 3 days on Disney ship or I believe just about any combination. I have been going to Disney World with my family since 1971 (pre opening for people who lived in area) and I have never seen a particular melt-down. Overwhelmed a bit maybe but it is so easy. When we have a group of over 10 we sometimes split up for some activities (roller coaster fans/sick at the sight of rc). When you have more time you don't have to push so hard to see everything. The Disney ships are great also and have terrific kids clubs. I think their private island is the best of all I have been too.

Look for Disney deals. Disney is hurting now and I have never seen the deals that are available. Cheap not hardly but staying on property with the food plan and all transportation let's you plan for expenses.

I have gone with over 10 different family members that were 4 at the time of visit. They all loved it more than any other vacation. Maybe that's why we visit with whole family at least once every 2 years.

Thanks for all the great information...some decisions are made.

We are, in deference to me (who hates planes generally and long flights specifically) and the ages of grand daughters...going via Hawaii. Quick stop over 2 nights on way over and longer on way home perhaps with cruise. Action Man exercised his vote to go to Las Vegas, Hawaiian Airlines has good deals all the way.

So Disneyland it is....current idea is Hawaii stopover and then on to Las Vegas....5 days in Vegas and then drive back to LA via Grand Canyon (1 night). LA we will look at the Disneyworld plus Disney cruise option..otherwise...Disneyworld and all that LA offers for a week..maybe side trips up coast...then plane to Hawaii looking at NCL (as only option) bugger I will never get those last few days to get to "elite" for a cruise around islands..is it rough in January?

All of this is just confirming why I love cruising the decisions are sooo much easier.

Not looking forward to flying into LAX I am sure I aged 10 years in the queue for immigration last time...I am sure it will be worse now or if I am blessed the plane goes straight to Las Vegas haven't checked yet.:confused:

Hope you other cruisers aren't bored watching this dedicated cruisie struggling to organise mostly land holiday with the same excitement I get from a cruise.

Sounds like a plan :D

I was in Hawaii for two weeks from NYE 08/09 and it rained and it was cold for the first week (had to go buy jumpers!). I was so miffed I looked at getting onto a cruise for a change of scenery even if it rained but they were all fully booked. Fortunately it warmed up the 2nd week and the sun came out :D

Are you thinking of apartments or hotel for those first two days? I stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village for a few days which would be a great location to deflight, dejetlag and great area for the littlies. The beach area is large so your not sitting on top of everyone like you are further up the beach, has heaps of pools, a great lagoon, penguins :D, and I highly recommend it.

Archived