Where is the Customs Building Located?

markntara

Your don't go thru individual customs in Progreso. The ship clears customs before passangers are allowed to disimbark. Usually within an hour of tying up to the dock.

Thanks for replying Traveler. I was under the impression that Mexican Customs Officials in Progreso randomly stop people coming off the ships with back packs, camera bags, ect ... to inspect.

Are you saying that cruise passengers disembark in Progreso like Nassau, with the ability to leave the ship and into the city without going thru any security processes?

I've never seen the need for individuals to clear customes and imigration for day visits at Progreso. Of course it is required when flying into Merida, just like anywhere else. Neither, have I ever seen or heard of those random stops. Source?

Thanks for replying Traveler. I was under the impression that Mexican Customs Officials in Progreso randomly stop people coming off the ships with back packs, camera bags, ect ... to inspect.

Are you saying that cruise passengers disembark in Progreso like Nassau, with the ability to leave the ship and into the city without going thru any security processes?

Yep, no inspections leaving the ship. When you come back they will want to see a picture ID and your Sign and Sail card from the ship. The ship will scan anybags that you bring back on board.

I've never seen the need for individuals to clear customes and imigration for day visits at Progreso. Of course it is required when flying into Merida, just like anywhere else. Neither, have I ever seen or heard of those random stops. Source?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=643843&highlight=customs

They picked us to question what was in our bags. I was honest. Maybe I should have just said that we were going to the beach but I thought it was better to be upfront than get caught in a story. I dealt with customs for about an hour in the morning and did everything they asked. They told me to get a letter from the school and the school supplies could be left for them to pick up in 2 days. I got the letter and returned to the ship to make the arrangements with customs. They changed their "laws" again. It was stated that because Progreso is a commercial port nothing could go ashore for any other agency than the government or the red cross.

Shawna

I must appolgize for my ignorance, just that my children plan to carry beach needs with them in back packs when we leave the ship, and I was courious about how many have had time delays or been stoped.

Have you been to Progreso recently?

Archived