Malmok Beach - anyone been there?

Jenbirds

Malmok Beach is very small and there are NO facilities.

c005315.jpg

For snorkeling I would suggest Boca Catalina below instead, more info

boca_catalinaa_sm.jpgclick on the thumnail to enlarge

There are no facilities at Boca Catalina with the exception of some shade trees and palapas.

For snorkel rental you would have to stop on Palm Beach at Aruba Watersports http://www.arubawatersportcenter.com/ in between the Occidental and Radisson.

• 3 weeks later...
How would you recommend getting to Boca Catalina.. and how much would it cost?

You can take either the bus or a taxi. There is some info on taking the bus at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1088140

Can you swim from Malmok beach to the WWII sunken ship?

The Antilla is a half mile OFF OF THE COAST of the Boca Catalina. I suggest you do NOT swim there. http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.601643&lon=-70.056682&z=17&l=0&m=a&v=2

I'm confused. Looking at that wiki map, it looks to me like Malmok is south of boca catalina not the other way around. Maybe I am not reading it right.

I see listed from the top Arashi, Catalina Cove, Boca Catalina then Malmok.

A few more questions: Can you walk from Arashi to Boca Catalina by beach or do you need to go to the road? How far is that?

So, from what I have been reading, is it correct that their are no bathroom facilities from Arashi all the way to Malmok?

Are there any bathroom facilities near the lighthouse, if we do that as our last stop before the beach on a tour?

If we choose Arashi to snorkel, will we find sufficient coral/fish or is it a major difference between Arashi and Boca Catalina?

Last question - if it is a windy day, are all those beaches likely to be windy?

Thanks in advance Arubalisa and all others who have been to these places for your wealth of information.

I'm confused. Looking at that wiki map, it looks to me like Malmok is south of boca catalina not the other way around. Maybe I am not reading it right.

I see listed from the top Arashi, Catalina Cove, Boca Catalina then Malmok.

So sorry, worked late the night before :rolleyes: and the caffeine had not kicked in yet :o. You are correct in the readings from Arashi to Malmok, North to South.

A few more questions: Can you walk from Arashi to Boca Catalina by beach or do you need to go to the road? How far is that?

No not really. You would have to trespass through a couple of backyards. I have seen people walk northward through backyards from Boca Catalina. Imo kind of tacky, wouldn't want all these tourists trucking through my yard. :o Anyway, it is an easy walk on the street, though no sidewalks.

So, from what I have been reading, is it correct that their are no bathroom facilities from Arashi all the way to Malmok?

Are there any bathroom facilities near the lighthouse, if we do that as our last stop before the beach on a tour?

No none at all.

If we choose Arashi to snorkel, will we find sufficient coral/fish or is it a major difference between Arashi and Boca Catalina?
Arashi is a white sand beach. If you choose at the very south end of the pakring lot you can enter the water, however, from what I can recall there are a lot of very sharp rocks and not much room to maneuver. http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.6077678&lon=-70.0533611&z=18&l=0&m=b This is centered on that specific area and you can see the waves breaking over the shallow coral/rocks. To get past them you would need to swim about 130 feet out from Arashi to a bit deeper water and then southward. Imo for snorkeling stick with the entry at Catlalina Cove. For easier entry just go in at Boca Catalina and make your way north.

Last question - if it is a windy day, are all those beaches likely to be windy?
Average windspeed in Aruba is 17 mph everyday. Gusts up to about 35 mph, more during June.

Thanks in advance Arubalisa and all others who have been to these places for your wealth of information.

You are welcome, again sorry for the screw up. <<smacking myself in the head>>

• 1 month later...

What about walking [on the beach on or the road] between Palm Beach/Fishermen's Hut/Boca Catalina? Is that "doable" from someone who does a lot of walking? Is one direction better than the other? We're looking to snorkel and relax.

BTW - Arubalisa, thanks for all the info you kindly take the time to post here and share with others.

What about walking [on the beach on or the road] between Palm Beach/Fishermen's Hut/Boca Catalina? Is that "doable" from someone who does a lot of walking? Is one direction better than the other? We're looking to snorkel and relax.

BTW - Arubalisa, thanks for all the info you kindly take the time to post here and share with others.

We were just there in February. Went to Boca Catalina Beach. Palm is a good ways away. I suppose you could walk it, but it was wicked hot and the bus goes that way and only costs $2.30 round trip (US). Boca is great for snorkeling and relaxing but there are NO facilities at all. When we were there, all of the local snorkel tour ships pulled in to snorkel but were gone by noon. It was nice a quiet. Bring water and a snack.

We were just there in February. Went to Boca Catalina Beach. Palm is a good ways away. I suppose you could walk it, but it was wicked hot and the bus goes that way and only costs $2.30 round trip (US). Boca is great for snorkeling and relaxing but there are NO facilities at all. When we were there, all of the local snorkel tour ships pulled in to snorkel but were gone by noon. It was nice a quiet. Bring water and a snack.

We plan to go to Boca Catalina in April. Was there any shade and where was the best spot for snorkeling?

Here is just about everything you need to know about Boca Catalina and snorkeling

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/tags.php?tag=boca+catalina

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.5938107&lon=-70.0468969&z=15&l=0&m=b This map will show you as the crow flies the distance is approximately 1 3/4 miles. Depending on how tender your feet are, and how tough the soles of your shoes, you can walk along the coastline in parts, and, otherwise the beach and side of the road. "Wicked hot" pretty much describes the walk ;)

Anything else let me know. :)

Thanks, Arubalisa et al. We were thinking we'd have the bus drop us off up by Boca Catalina and snorkel for a bit, then walk south, stopping along the way to snorkel if we feel like it, then catch the bus back to the pier at the northern part of Palm Beach. We'll see how hot it is and how energetic we are when the time comes!

Again, thank you for all your great advice.

• 3 months later...

I find all this info on Boca, etc., very helpful and have another question. While we will keep our money, cards, etc., in our dry wallet, do folks just leave the rest of their belongings on the beach while snorkeling? Losing my towel/snacks aren't deal breakers but I would hope they are still there after a snorkel?

There are always people around when we have been there and have never had any problems with shoes, towels, fruit and sodas being left on the beach. Once I had my beachbag and there wasn't really anything in it but there were two women sunbathing who we asked to keep an eye on it. Again, no issues.

Archived