Power Snorkel: Nassau, Half Moon Cay or Grand Turk?

Brieanna817

In case this is your first time power snorkeling - here is my opinion. I didn't particularly care for it; however, I'm sure that most people find it quite fun. We are avid snorkelers - that is the only reason we vacation in the Caribbean. Our excursion in Cozumel was cancelled and the only snorkeling trip offered was power snorkeling. It sounded like fun and something different so off we went. It was fun for a few minutes, just because of the newness of the experience. But, what I like about snorkeling is SLOWLY going along and looking at the fish. To really see anything while snorkeling requires slow movement through the water. Also, just in case something really interesting swims by, it would be almost impossible to take any pictures as the power snorkels we were using required both hands (kind of like holding onto a small steering wheel). We also enjoy pointing things out to each other as we snorkel along, and that can't be done either. It was also interesting trying to dodge jellyfish using a power snorkel.

I would also find out if the power snorkeling is being done as a boat snorkel or from shore. We were picked up by boat, but taken to a small place on shore where we were given the equipment. Then, we walked in and shore snorkeled. The snorkeling there would have been terrible no matter what - just nothing to see and it happened to be an area with a lot of jellyfish. When we were in Nassau on a land vacation I didn't find any good shore snorkeling - you would have to go out by boat.

I know this isn't exactly what you asked. . . . but just in case you wondering about power snorkeling in general. I'm sure just as many people will answer and say that they loved it - all what you are looking for.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived