Tropical transatlantic.

We have done this trip twice. The first time we had brilliant weather all the way, the second time it was dodgy with quite a swell for most of the six days, though Captain Psarrakis kept assuring us "tomorrow it will be sunny". It got to be a standing joke and his daily mid-day announcements were greeted with shrieks of laughter!

There will be plenty of activities indoors to keep you occupied if it is not sun-bathing weather. If you think you might be sea-sick, pack some Stugeron tablets, they work like magic.

Once you get to the Caribbean it will be 30c.

Carol x

• 5 weeks later...

Hello we did the trip dec past the trip from lisbon to maderia was the worst leg but wasent too bad just a wee bit choppy ,after that the sea was really good every day getting better and warmer as you reach the carribean, you will have a great time enjoy the first week on board just like at a hotel, entertainment is fantastic and you will see a different show every night.plenty going on during the day, if you want anymore specific info just ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,this is my first post. What a great site.:)

My wife and I plus two friends have also just booked this Tropical Transatlantic trip for December.Flying from Glasgow to join the ship in Lisbon.My wife and I have had one previous cruise in the mid eighties around the med on Airtours Seawing.We loved it, but then spent years doing the standard land based holidays.The couple we are travelling with are cruise virgins.Both wives will be celebrating 60th birthdays whilst aboard and that one of the main reasons why we chose this cruise.

Interesting reading the reviews of the Destiny.

I think it will suit us very well,British passengers,excellent reports on the entertainment and crew,reputation as a happy ship,flexible dining options,no children,all inclusive drinks package included free,gratuities included,local departure airport.We have even selected our choice of cabin(inside deck 4).

We got a realy good deal with an independant TA and saved over £350 per couple on the lowest Thomson price,either on line or in the shop.

I know the price will fall as the departure day nears,but we were happy with what we paid at the time, and could not afford to miss the birthday dates.One on the night of the second Gala dinner,the other whilst on Tortola.

I will be studying these pages now to pick up all the useful advice,I only have 9 months to get organised and packed.;)

Jim

You may be interested to know that Thomson "Destiny" used to be Airtours "Sunbird" and before that she was "Song of America". If you look closely at the bow of the ship you can see where the previous names have been painted over.

Carol x

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

We have also booked this cruise and am really interested to know what the weather will be like - I assume we will have to pack for all seasons!!.

I have cruised on the Destiny before but its my partners first cruise and we are really looking forward to it. We are flying from Birmingham and have booked an inside cabin on deck 3 in the middle of the ship. Has anyone looked at the available excursions? :)

Lesley

We have done this trip twice. The first time we had brilliant weather all the way, the second time it was dodgy with quite a swell for most of the six days, though Captain Psarrakis kept assuring us "tomorrow it will be sunny". It got to be a standing joke and his daily mid-day announcements were greeted with shrieks of laughter!

There will be plenty of activities indoors to keep you occupied if it is not sun-bathing weather. If you think you might be sea-sick, pack some Stugeron tablets, they work like magic.

Once you get to the Caribbean it will be 30c.

Carol x

He said that the first time too in Dec 08 !! The first time in Dec 08 the weather was not sunny for the first 3 days after Madeira in fact it rained on two of the days briefly - and if you remember the first day out of Madeira the ship detoured to resuce those sailors and it was cloudy then !!

I remember waking up on the morning of the rescue at sea thinking my God we're tanking along! We had an outside cabin low down on deck three in the bow and could feel/hear the sea slapping against the ship. Quite a drama and apparently the first time in his career he had performed a rescue.

Carol x

Archived