Disposable Underwater Cameras

Ok, I've read about all of these fancy underwater cameras but I'm not willing to pay that much money for a camera I will rarely use. Call me cheap..lol Has anyone ever used the "throw-away" underwater cameras? How did they work? My kids will be the ones using them (mostly). Do they take pictures well out of water too? Any input will be helpfull. Thanks

Back in my Army days we used the waterproof ones in the field. Also on my first cruise my wife and I used them when we went snorkeling. They worked well enough!

Don't expect award winning photos, but they are certainly adequate for capturing your memories with good results.

Also you don't have to worry about losing your expensive p&s like we do ;)

I am going to give the kids one to take with them on the cruise, it is always interesting to see things from their perspective!

We used underwater disposable film cameras 8 years ago, okay photos, okay above the water, fun to have if you are not too serious. I think it is better to get a cheap underwater digital camera. You can get cheap ones under 50 bucks. They will be fixed focus most likely. But for fun they will work okay below and okay under water. They will be preset for underwater lighting.

I bought a Pentax underwater cam last year. I's Great! Ok, It cost just under $300. But, I find that I now use it as a walk around cam. It's 10 mega pixel, 10x zoom, shoots video and about the size of a mans small wallet. I've had it underwater in salt & fresh with no harm done. I also use a canon slr with a 200mm zoom stabilized auto focus (heck, every gadget you would ever want) and have trouble telling the dif between pics shot with the two. And, I don't dare get the canon wet.

Thanks for the info. I think I will get a few of the disposable ones for the kids. We are not looking for prize winning photos when it comes to underwater and the kids taking pictures anyway. I think they will like messing with them and I won't have to stress!

Is there a certain brand that is better than another?

I've used both the Fuji and the Kodak and there isn't any noticable difference. I used 3 of them and out of all the shots, I think there were only 1 or 2 that I liked. But...it was fun to use and even the bad ones bring back good memories!

Archived