What should we do in Progeso or Merida ??? Help??

TulTA

What should we do in Progeso/Merida? We have been there a few times, did the tour of Merida & Rodeo and then we did the Corona Beach break. Do want to do these again, I really don't want to shop(there really isnt any) and I'm afraid it will be to cold to swim. Were taking a 5day cruise that leaves on Feb 1. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Welcome to CC. Maybe check out some of the ruins. DZ is the closest. Personaly for a one day trip to Progreso I like to just hang out on the beach, drink, eat, people watch and maybe if time is left drink some more. Bypass Corona and head down the beach aways, find a nice shaddy spot at anyone of the beach bars and did I mention drink.:p I save Merida for longer land trips.

If I had done as Traveler said about putting off Merida, I may never had gone back for three two-week vacations. But as he said, there are so many options for your stop at Progreso. Keep reading this board and checkout www.yucatantoday.com for more information on the state of Yucatantoday.com

Definetly did not mean to tell them to not go to Merida. It is a wonderful town and will be my new home in a couple of years (second retirement).

The problem that most first timers to Progreso/Merida have is that there is just so much to do in this area and some try to do it all in one day. Merida deserves more than a couple of hours. I would recomend that a first timer spend some time in and around Progreso. Take the double decker tour bus. Check out the beach and bars, have a great fresh fish lunch and wonder around the town to get the feel of the place. Many don't feel comfortable taking off on their own so Autoprogreso is a good and reliable way to take a tour of the ruins and a quick trip to Merida, again to get the layout and them come back for a longer visit.

Traveler. I so envy you. Would love to live in Merida. What a friendly town! And what a sense of "community"!

It gets better everytime I visit. I have met a number of expats and locals on my visits. And everyone has made me feel like we were old friends. They are very social group with like you said a strong sense of community. I wish I could make the move sooner but family obligations and waiting for Social Secuity to kick in is keeping me in the states for a couple of more years.

Archived