First Day On Boat (Dinner Time)

Billabongi

Couple questions on the first day on the boat from a 1st time cruiser.

1st, are they sticklers for dress code on the 1st night dinner or would jeans and a polo or even a tshirt be ok?

2nd, with an 8:30 departing time and a 2nd seating normal dinner time i presume we will miss all the sail away festivities? is there anyway to get an early dinner time so we dont miss the sail away festivities just for that one night?

3rd, I am not sure how up we will be for shows with the busy port days but what time do the shows normally occur?

4th, and last :) how long does a dinner normally last?

Couple questions on the first day on the boat from a 1st time cruiser.

1st, are they sticklers for dress code on the 1st night dinner or would jeans and a polo or even a tshirt be ok?

2nd, with an 8:30 departing time and a 2nd seating normal dinner time i presume we will miss all the sail away festivities? is there anyway to get an early dinner time so we dont miss the sail away festivities just for that one night?

3rd, I am not sure how up we will be for shows with the busy port days but what time do the shows normally occur?

4th, and last :) how long does a dinner normally last?

1st they are not sticklers at all on the first night-you could even wear shorts.

2nd on sailaway 1st night its anytime dining just walk to the diningroom and they will sit you at a available table, we've been 3 times and I don't recall a sail away party:rolleyes:

3rd shows depending on which -big show is usually about 10 ish comedians will usually have 2 shows 1 early 1 at midnight (adult) just depends but they list all shows in the capers that you get at bedtime the night before. We were usually beat because of our tours during the day!

4th we seem to always have 1 1/2 hr dinners and then again we've had 2 hour dinners if you get people that come late say 5-10 minutes it makes a difference because the waiter likes to start the whole table at once. If you can try the supper club they are unbelievable 2Hrs long but worth the price and you pick your time- book early or online

Karon:)

1st they are not sticklers at all on the first night-you could even wear shorts.

2nd on sailaway 1st night its anytime dining just walk to the diningroom and they will sit you at a available table, we've been 3 times and I don't recall a sail away party:rolleyes:

3rd shows depending on which -big show is usually about 10 ish comedians will usually have 2 shows 1 early 1 at midnight (adult) just depends but they list all shows in the capers that you get at bedtime the night before. We were usually beat because of our tours during the day!

4th we seem to always have 1 1/2 hr dinners and then again we've had 2 hour dinners if you get people that come late say 5-10 minutes it makes a difference because the waiter likes to start the whole table at once. If you can try the supper club they are unbelievable 2Hrs long but worth the price and you pick your time- book early or online

Karon:)

Thanks much appreciated!

Sorry about number 2 I thought i've read about sail away parties. I must be thinking of something else

I've been on over a dozen cruises and I have never experienced 1st night as just walk in and they will seat you. Of course, I have never taken a cruise that left at 8:30 p.m. But, I would do some checking with your cruiseline before I just assumed this. The other option for 1st night is going to the buffet upstairs. Eat when you want and wear what you want ;)

I've been on over a dozen cruises and I have never experienced 1st night as just walk in and they will seat you. Of course, I have never taken a cruise that left at 8:30 p.m. But, I would do some checking with your cruiseline before I just assumed this. The other option for 1st night is going to the buffet upstairs. Eat when you want and wear what you want ;)

Sorry, you are wrong. It also appears you have not sailed this itinerary? They most certainly do have open dining seating, on the first night, on these southbound cruises leaving Alaska.

Although they don't have "sail away" parties, like the Caribbean, they do usually have roving bartenders going around with drinks, maybe a band. But that's it. Plenty of people are on deck, who usually rush back in, once under Lion's Gate in Vancouver, and 15 minutes after leaving Seattle. :) Take a jacket.

The evening shows are in the same timeframes as other cruises. usually in the 7pm/9pm range. I skip them entirely when sailing Alaska, since my priority is what's outside the ship. Especially if you are sailing prior to end of August, there can be some spectacular scenic sailing. AND if, you want to see more- can be significant early morning scenic opportunities.

Princess sail away parties are no big deal. They have drinks to buy, they toot the ship horn and they have a band playing. The only sail away party I liked was when we sailed from San Francisco under the GG bridge. That was very nice to see. As far as the first night dinning,wear what ever you want and go to dinner whenever you want too, but if you went during your dinning time, you would not miss anything. The thing to know about cruising is there are so many activities on the ship at all times, it sometimes becomes hard to pick and choose. Each night you will get the Princess patter which tells you about the next days events. Going over the patter really helps you plain you day and night. All the evening entertainment has usually 2 shows, so no one will miss out. Dinner usually last about 1&1/2 hours or so. If you are a foodie, consider signing up for the chefs table when you first get on the ship. It is to die for, but does cost $75 per person, but so very worth it.

Sorry, you are wrong. It also appears you have not sailed this itinerary? They most certainly do have open dining seating, on the first night, on these southbound cruises leaving Alaska.

Well, I apologize! I did say I had never been on a cruise that left at 8:30.

We book late seating and did so with our Alaska cruise as well.On the fist night though we were given an early seating as we arrived around 2 pm while many passangers were arriving much latter.Our ship left at 9 pm.I t worked out well as we were tired after our 5 Night land tour which was excellent but very hectic.

First night you wear whatever.Many peole have still not received their luggage untill after dinner

Archived