This may be a dumb question, but scuba in Alaska or Canada?

navinnavin

Planning a 7 day from Seattle to Canada/Alaska on NCL in June.

Is beginner scuba offered at any of the ports? I have no idea how cold the water is or if they make wetsuits warm enough, so if this is a ridiculous question just tell me.

We had a great time snuba diving in Mexico and would love to try it again.

Again, this is in JUNE.

Thanks!

Planning a 7 day from Seattle to Canada on NCL in June.

Is beginner scuba offered at any of the ports? I have no idea how cold the water is or if they make wetsuits warm enough, so if this is a ridiculous question just tell me.

We had a great time snuba diving in Mexico and would love to try it again.

Again, this is in JUNE.

Thanks!

I didn't see scuba offered thru the cruise ship, but we went snorkeling in Sitka with a Dive shop. They use dry suits. I looked at dive shops in Sitka and Ketchikan.

Yep, you should look at snorkeling. Scuba diving in Alaska/BC is considered advanced diving, and as such is not suitable for a Discover Scuba dive IMO. A drysuit is highly desirable for diving there and that is a specialty certification. It's fine to snorkel in a drysuit and that doesn't require any extra special training.

Here's one of my British Columbia Underwater photo galleries

This is my favorite photo from that gallery:

broodinganemones.jpg

Brooding Anemonies

• 2 weeks later...
We did snorkeling in Alaska and we loved it! You can see so much different life in the water than you see in the Caribbean. I highly recommend scuba diving if you can!

We snorkeld in Ketchican, AK in late May. It was a very different experience from the caribbean, but no less fun. We wore wet suits and were plenty warm. Lots of starfish, spider crabs, sea cucumbers, kelp, and yes, even orcas about 200 yards away. There was a Coast Guard boat between us. The folks running the excursion said the Coast Guard were protecting the whales, not us! The water was in full bloom with millions of pinkynail size jellyfish. So not a lot of sight distance underwater, 10-15 feet. We would do it again in a heartbeat.

Archived