San Fran....one day in port!

blan2

sultan sfo....Thank you so much for the info. I have been looking into buying my own Alcatraz tickets. If you have any suggestions, that would be great. Our ship will be docked at Pier 27 and is scheduled to get in at 9am. I was thinking of buying tickets for 10am or 10:30am....I am a little bit hesitant to book for an early ferry, just incase our ship arrives late.

The website is a bit confusing. From the website, I am posting 3 direct links. Browse these links first and then explore the other information. The Piers are all Odd Numbers on one side of Pier Zero (Ferry Bldg) and even on the other. Thus, Pier 33 (Alcatraz Pier) is almost adjacent to Pier 27 -- facing the "road" go right as you come out from Pier 27. Remember to have your ID (driver's license or Passport) to pick up your on-line tickets.

Let me know if you have any questions about getting to the cable car.

Enjoy.

Main Link:

http://www.nps.gov/alca/index.htm

Map Link:

http://www.nps.gov/alca/planyourvisit/directions.htm

Descriptions:

http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/website/tour-comparison.aspx

Fees & Schedule:

http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/website/price-schedule-chart.aspx

sultan sfo....Thank you so much for the info. I have been looking into buying my own Alcatraz tickets. If you have any suggestions, that would be great. Our ship will be docked at Pier 27 and is scheduled to get in at 9am. I was thinking of buying tickets for 10am or 10:30am....I am a little bit hesitant to book for an early ferry, just incase our ship arrives late.

The website is a bit confusing. From the website, I am posting 3 direct links. Browse these links first and then explore the other information. The Piers are all Odd Numbers on one side of Pier Zero (Ferry Bldg) and even on the other. Thus, Pier 33 (Alcatraz Pier) is almost adjacent to Pier 27 -- facing the "road" go right as you come out from Pier 27. Remember to have your ID (driver's license or Passport) to pick up your on-line tickets.

Let me know if you have any questions about getting to the cable car.

Enjoy.

Main Link:

http://www.nps.gov/alca/index.htm

Map Link:

http://www.nps.gov/alca/planyourvisit/directions.htm

Descriptions:

http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/website/tour-comparison.aspx

Fees & Schedule:

http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/website/price-schedule-chart.aspx

Thanks again for the info.

I will buy tickets for the 10am ferry to Alcatraz.

When we are back from Alcatraz (back to pier 33), we would love to go somewhere for some great seafood......crab, chowder....any seafood!! If you can give me a few recommendations that would be appreciated. Also, general directions to the cable car. I have a pretty good sense of direction, and have looked at a few maps, but would love to hear your suggestions. Looking forward to your input!

We are on the Zuderdam sailing Sept 28th and have 2 nights in SF before cruise and 2 nights after Oct 14th. Trying to book Alcatraz and seems nothing avaiable for either dates. Is this usual to be booked out so far in advance and any other suggestions as to how we can visit the place. Thanks Irene and Stan.

keep checking--also, there may be walk on tickets the day of --alcatraz is self guided for the most part. in oct, could be cold or 100 degrees. that week in oct is prime tourist season.

cable car is easiest caught across the street from the Hyatt on the Embarcadero at Market street.

the ferry building (at foot of market street on waterfront) has some good seafood choices--it is a food emporium and you can wander around and choose...

or if you want the most traditional seafood, try Scoma's at fisherman's wharf or Tadich grill (downtown, use cash, no reservations)

Apologies for not replying.

Will give info this weekend. Hope it is not too late for you.

Also, general directions to the cable car. I have a pretty good sense of direction, and have looked at a few maps, but would love to hear your suggestions. Looking forward to your input!

Hi sultan sfo,

It isn't too late. We aren't leaving until May 6th. I am still open to any suggestions for cable cars and restaurants. I bought the Alcatraz tickets.......I am getting exited! I can't wait! I haven't been to San Fran for over 20 years.

keep checking--also, there may be walk on tickets the day of --alcatraz is self guided for the most part. in oct, could be cold or 100 degrees. that week in oct is prime tourist season.

cable car is easiest caught across the street from the Hyatt on the Embarcadero at Market street.

the ferry building (at foot of market street on waterfront) has some good seafood choices--it is a food emporium and you can wander around and choose...

or if you want the most traditional seafood, try Scoma's at fisherman's wharf or Tadich grill (downtown, use cash, no reservations)

Hi nna,

Thank you for the info! I was raised on the coast and miss seafood now that I live inland, so I really appreciated the restaurant info.

just a thought- it would be a bit of a taxi/bus ride but there is a great new museum dedicated to the life of walk disney located in the presido area. it took sveral years and 110million dollars to build. it is new and not well known so would be a neat experience to beat the crowds so to speak.

they have also completly rebuilt the california academy of sciences museum in golden gate park. it includes the deepest corol reef exhibit ever created -check it out at calacademy dot org

Some Suggestions:

I am not sure when you have to be back on the ship. You may adjust these to your timings.

1. When you return from Alcatraz, you can go back to the ship to freshen up or proceed directly to Pier 39.

2. Pier 39: Go straight to the end -- at the end (of the Pier) you will see the sea lions. Public Restrooms are available at Pier 39.

3. Continue to Fisherman's Wharf (FW) (around Pier 45). Actually, Lunch at a restaurant can be waste of time. But if you want sit down lunch, our preference is Alioto's right at FW. Go up and ask for window table. The local fish which is brought in daily very early is Rex Sole / Sandabs. Pan fried is quite good. But if you wish to forgo the sit down, the walk-away crabs and clam chowder soup at the sidewalk are excellent. Pricey for walkaway but lot cheaper than sitdown. Restroom if you skip the restaurant would be if you buy something from McD across the street.

4. Taylor St. is right at FW. Go up Taylor to Bay to catch the cable car. There may be half-hour wait. The line is called Powell & Mason. And it will end at Market St. 2 blocks past Union Square. Union Square has the upscale boutique store -- H&M, Gucci etc. If you are not interested in those, cross Market Street to the Shopping Galleria which has Nordstrom etc., food court, and good restrooms.

5. At Market St., you can catch the F-Line Street car which will take you back to Pier 27. If you have lots of time, get off the F-Line at Ferry Bldg (with the Clock Tower). It has nice views and small fancy takeouts and gelato that is supposed to be better than Italian, and restrooms. Then you can get back on the F-Line to Pier 27.

Enjoy you day!

PS: I cant help you where to buy the Muni Day Pass -- may be where you board the cable car.

Hi sultan sfo,

It isn't too late. We aren't leaving until May 6th. I am still open to any suggestions for cable cars and restaurants. I bought the Alcatraz tickets.......I am getting exited! I can't wait! I haven't been to San Fran for over 20 years.

• 1 month later...

I will be coming into San Francisco for basically 1 1/2 days. I want to do a winery tour on the full day (but would prefer a tour that does not eat up the entire day). Are the tours usually all 8 hrs long?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Archived