Just Back From The Radiance Any Questions?

PTarbay

We were on the cruise together with PTarbay and Anniversary Cruisers (hi everybody), and we loved it just as much.

Here are few info (INPO) that we are now proud to share, as this was our first-time cruise, and till now, we were always looking for suggestions and recommendations:

Our cabin (#3556) on the 3rd deck was right in the middle of the ship, on the right hand side, facing forward. It had a great view of Cuba's coastline, and at the times we were so close that we could see highrise buildings (hotels ?) in the distance. Also, we had a beautiful view of Haiti (Labadee).

Sea View cafe was great, and in the evening, or more like at night, we would go there for a snack. There were 2 very nice servers - Rakeesh from Trinnidad, and Jose from Portugal.

Smoked salmon available for breakfast daily at the Windjamer. Oh yaaa...

We ate at Chops on Tuesday night. I made a reservation for 6:00 pm on the first day, but it was not full (althou got busier when we were leaving). Food and service was excellent (not that it was not anywhere else), and had a nice, more intimate atmosphere. Our servers were again fantastic (Christopher from Hungry, and Jana from Slovakia).

We did not snorkel in Labadee, but I also heard that it was not very good. On the other hand, snorkeling in Grand Cayman along with Sting Ray City is a MUST. Do not book via RC as the cost is more then doubble, and they take close to 100 people. We went with Soto's Cruises: $30.00 pp (cash or Trav. Cheques only as some lines are down and they are not able to accept credit cards), 16 people on the boat including our family. If you forget your own underwater camera, there is a photographer on the boat, and she takes pictures. On the way back you can view them, and if you like them, you can purchase whatever you want (here they will take your credit card number, give you a receipt, and will send a CD with the photos to your home address). I bought 25 photos for $70.00, just could not resist as they were very, very good.

Cozumel is also excellent for snorkeling, but we did not do it this time, as we were there only a year ago, and we snorkeled at that time. I would recommend to go to Nachi Cocom beach ($13.00 taxi for 4 from the pier, $20.00 from the beach to town, and $6.00 from town back to pier) as it is much less crowded and just as beautiful as others. It is free to enter, has plenty of palapas, beach chairs, pool with swim-up bar, open air restaurant (4 of us ate plentyfull lunch for $40.00 including tip). Also for a fee you can go parasailing, sea-doo running, etc.

Based on other people recommendations we gave extra tips and calling cards to our stewart, waiter and waiter's assistant. We also gave few $$$ to some guys at Windjamer and Sea View cafe to show them that we truly appreciated their efforts. Before we went on the cruise, I bought "Thank-you" cards, and used them at the end. I must say, all of the workers on the ship deserve gratitudes as they work like none of us.

Our room had limted space (outside cabin for 4), but we managed. Beside shelves on top of TV cabinet, and drawers on both sides of the desk, there were mini shelves on both sides of the mirror (covered) above the desk. Also in the washroom there is a small shelf under the sink, and medicine cabinet. In the shower, there is a clothes line. The main closet had one long shelf on top, and 5-6 on the side.

Overall, we had a great time. Weather was fine, sure beats -40C, and like someone said: "bad day on the cruise is better than good day at work".

Anyone going on Radiance, you will enjoy it. Even my teenage sons did not want to leave. I wish I could do it again,

Dorota.

Hi Dorota I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise.I saw the boys a few times around the ship and they looked like they were having a great time too.

KCDan,

I was on the starboard side the same of Dorota.I brought along binoculars and sat on my balcony with them for great views of Cuba and Labadee.We also sat out there and watched people boarding the ship.You always have a great view of the other ships docked along side of you.If you want views of Grand Cayman,Cozumel and Ocho Rios you want to be on the port side.

Hi PTarbay,

yes we loved the cruise, and boys had a great time. They both won backpacks and CD holders for participation in the Teen program. I am happy for you that you already booked another cruise, and I only wish I will do same one day. Are you going on Western again, or will you try Eastern route ? I will be waiting to read your review next year. Have fun, Dorota.

Archived