Helicopter trip with 2 hour walkabout- which company

tdelliott

I am wondering if anyone knows which company does the helicopter/2 hour glacier walkabout excursion out of Juneau? It sounds like the cruise ship uses NorthStar, since they are the only group that seems to do the 2 hour walkabout.

We will be there in June with Princess and are wondering how strict they are with the 12 year old minimum age. Our son will be 11 years and 10 months at the time of the trip, and we really want to do this excursion.

Any info is appreciated :)

I am planning to use Northstar, too. I don't know the answer about your son's age, though. I would email or call them and ask directly. They might allow him to go on it, since he will turn 12 the following month.

I am wondering if anyone knows which company does the helicopter/2 hour glacier walkabout excursion out of Juneau? It sounds like the cruise ship uses NorthStar, since they are the only group that seems to do the 2 hour walkabout.

We will be there in June with Princess and are wondering how strict they are with the 12 year old minimum age. Our son will be 11 years and 10 months at the time of the trip, and we really want to do this excursion.

Any info is appreciated :)

The only way to be sure about the age restriction is to contact the company directly. It may be that they would allow your son on the excursion but the problem is that if they allow an 11year 10 month youngster on the flight, someone else will want them to take their 11 year 9 month youngster and so on and so on. The 12 year minimum may seem a bit arbitrary but at some point lines have to be drawn. Check with them directly now to avoid possible disappointment when you show up for your flight.:)

If you can’t do the Level 2 tour, I’d recommend the Level 1. In June 2006, my family and I went on the “Level 1 Helicopter Glacier Walkabout” with Northstar Trekking because my nine year old brother was not old enough for the higher tour levels. Even though I would have been interested in doing a longer tour, it was an awesome experience.

The helicopter ride was nice, with beautiful views of the Tongass National Forest and Mendenhall Glacier. Once we were on the glacier, the guides attached crampons to our boots, then we walked along the glacier, climbed down four steep ice “stairs” to look into a moulin, and took a taste of fresh glacier water from a stream.

Getting up close to a glacier was a dream come true for me, and seeing my little brother all geared up with crampons and a trekking pole was priceless! You can read more and see a picture of him on the glacier at http://www.mydreamcametrue.com/dreamglacier.htm :)

We used Northstar from Princess last May. We did the 2 hour trek and all I can say is AMAZING!!! It was worth every little penny and a highlight of my life. I plan on returning within the next 5 years and will do the next level. I actually enjoyed the heli ride more than I expected. I been in one before so I didn't think it was a big deal. The views it offered were spectacular. Hopefully your son can go.

Definitely check directly with the Vendor. Usually if there is a minimum age, it is due to liability insurance. If that is true, then if your son was hurt and not of the minimum age, the Vendor will be personally liable. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Kids under 12 are o.k. with Northstar. I contacted them directly regarding my 10 yr old daughter and they said "no problem, the 12yr minimum is just a guideline". We booked with them directly for a 2-hour trek on June 13th for two adults and my 10 and (almost) 13 yr old kids.

I'm more concerned about my 13 yr old, who is afraid of heights, than my 10 yr old who is an avid rock climber. Obviously only you can judge your kids' abilities. if you are comfortable they can manage the trek... I say book it!

Enjoy,

Maggie

Archived