Bear Viewing in June?

Travel_Maven

My husband and I are considering a new pricey excursion with Princess Cruises on June 30 called "Whales, Bears & Glacier Adventure" out of Juneau. The tour goes to Chichagof Island (where Hoonah is and right beside but not actually Admiralty Island). From my research, the prime bear viewing time is in July and August but I have seen a couple of websites that say certain types of Salmon run in June in this area. We really don't want to spend so much money on this excursion if the odds of seeing bear are not very good.

We are going to Denali to Eielson but just for one day and MAY see bear there. Can any experienced Alaska travelers give us some advice??

Thanks!! :)

Correct on June being the wrong month for bear viewing. They really begin to congregate once the salmon run up the river. That is NOT in June. August and September are better.

In Denali, if you take the "long" tour in you stand a pretty good chance at bears. The short tour, not so much. BUT..... in Alaska wildlife has the odd habit of showing up at the oddest times. (Driving around Anchorage and spotting a moose at the airport, the Dall sheep on the rocks near Beluga Point in Anchorage, and always a possibility of black almost anywhere stepping out to check out the traffic.) We have seen so much of the years, but rarely is it "scheduled" viewing. Bears come about as close to that statement as possible during the latter part of summer.

Follow up on that last post. That tour Really looks good, but not sure about the timing due to the month. If the weather goes to heck in a basket,(not uncommon) the flight will be a bummer as well. Whales...... oh yeah, tons of those to be had in Juneau. One of the best ports for this. Lots of other good tour operators just in case you wish to just pick on whales.

The best time to see bears is when the salmon arrive in the streams to spawn and June would be a bit early. The timing of the salmon runs does vary but I would be inclined to agree with the information you have, the prime time is from late July onwards. Having said that bears also feed on berrys before the salmon arrive but you won't have the same concentration of bears in June and early July.

Thanks so much folks! I know Pack Creek starts tours the first of July so was just wondering if June 30 was close enough to have any luck. Looks like it would be a shot in the dark...and for that price, not sure we are willing to try it. We will probably just take our chances in Denali and various spots along the way. If anyone has any other comments on bear viewing near Hoonah for Admiralty Island, please post. Thanks again! :)

Archived