Where are all the threads about confiscated booze?

newt98

As a nurse I find all this very interesting. Maybe medical centers should start putting patients through Carnival's luggage screening since it seems to be able to pick up things that even medical scans cannot. Multi-million dollars machines in medicine (Nuclear X Rays, CAT scanners, PET Scanners etc) even with radioactive dyes cannot always spot things. Medicine doesn't advertise the amount of times "surprises" :eek:are found during surgery that are never seen on any scanners. Next time a doctor needs an comprehensive scan read by an experienced radiologist, I think recommending Carnival's scanners would be the way to go. After all, with X-Ray machines and screeners able to detect things medicine can only dream about, it's probably cheaper for patients just to follow their checked luggage through the Carnival screening process.;)

I don't doubt that this technology exists, but I doubt Carnival has such a thing. Standard luggage scanners will detect bottles, glass and plastic as well as other other shapes. Whether the scanners (people) will notice the run runners is another entire question. JMO!

I don't doubt that this technology exists, but I doubt Carnival has such a thing. Standard luggage scanners will detect bottles, glass and plastic as well as other other shapes. Whether the scanners (people) will notice the run runners is another entire question. JMO!

I am with you. I have a family member that works for TSA and I seriously doubt that Carnival plopped down the coin necessary to have these scanners in place.

I don't doubt the technology, I doubt the fact that Carnival is utilizing it.

with all the hype recently, and the new "rules" going into effect on Jan. 31, where are all the reports of booze being confiscated? Everybody has gotten so excited about the x-ray machines being able to see what color vodka is, but i have only seen one report of booze being confiscated, and that was not a very reliable post.:confused:

I guess the threads are being confiscated also..........

We just got back on Sunday from an 8 day cruise on Freedom out of Ft. Lauderdale. We didn't smuggle an alcohol from Ft. Lauderdale. From Tortolla we carried 1 reg. sized bottle of rum plus two smaller bottles of flavored wine onboard in my backpack - no problem. Then, in Nassau we carried on a smaller (not mini) bottle of banana rum - again, no problem. Both times, the backpack was run through the x-ray machine.

Not that it matters, but we didn't drink a drop of that alcohol on the boat. I would have handed it over if they tried to take it from me. I just preferred to get it back to my room and pack it right away (I'm anal like that).

I am with you. I have a family member that works for TSA and I seriously doubt that Carnival plopped down the coin necessary to have these scanners in place.

I don't doubt the technology, I doubt the fact that Carnival is utilizing it.

Do we even now for sure that they've upgraded their equipment? Or is it all surmised? :confused:

Do we even now for sure that they've upgraded their equipment? Or is it all surmised? :confused:

I think the upgraded equipment came from the not so substansiated thread out of Miami. Claims were they were xraying and catching EVERYONE's alcohol.

The thread moved toward xray capabilities, yada yada yada.

I believe Carnival may be taking a harder stance, I no way will ever believe they are catching it all, or even trying to. At the end of the day, I think they will find expending resources just isn't worth the reward.

We all have to remember that cruisecritic is a very small % of cruising passengers. I would be surprised if even more than 35% to 45% of a ship's passengers are trying to smuggle on.

I guess I could be completely off. It just seems to me that a majority of fist time cruisers wouldn't be doing too much of it and a lot of others simply budget their booze into the entire cost and don't even bother bringing their own. There are also the many who don't even drink or enjoy only a few the entire week.

The OP on thread Port of Miami and checked liquor and wine may possibly be exaggerating as she probably would really not have any way to know that, but it apparently seemed like everyone.

But there's no reason to doubt that she and her party had their alcohol removed from their luggage.

It's as reliable as any other post on the board.

i don't think anybody here said they doubted her story of having the wine removed from her luggage. but her statement that everybody on the ship had it removed is what makes it unreliable.

No I don't think Carnival spent the money for the new x-ray machine.

What I can believe is that the manufacturer of the machine is field testing the new x-ray technology and offered it to the company that scans the luggage or Homeland Security may be testing it, who knows.

As far as the inability for hospitals to use such a machine, it all depends on the amount of RAD's or strength of the imaging. I would doubt that they would submit a person to the same strength x-ray as they would use to detect an explosive or chemicals.

well if the new rule went into effect on the 31st, then people have a very short attention span, that was 11 days ago it went into effect. maybe there's not been threads about it because it's business as usual, and the people that have been celebrating that carnival is cracking down on smugglers actually have nothing to celebrate about.:D

Cruise critic represents less than 1% of cruisers......If you frequent other forums, you'll see more.....but don't stay away...CC is still the best.

Don't know how much more reliable it can get than from someone who actually had a bottle of wine removed from the checked luggage and traveled on a ship with many others who also had it taken. The only reason I posted this is to alert anyone who wanted to carry liquor onboard, not to put it in their checked luggage in the Port of Miami. Simple as that.

Reasonable people will believe you......smugglers will think your post is a hoax.

Different realities.......

As a nurse I find all this very interesting. Maybe medical centers should start putting patients through Carnival's luggage screening since it seems to be able to pick up things that even medical scans cannot. Multi-million dollars machines in medicine (Nuclear X Rays, CAT scanners, PET Scanners etc) even with radioactive dyes cannot always spot things. Medicine doesn't advertise the amount of times "surprises" :eek:are found during surgery that are never seen on any scanners. Next time a doctor needs an comprehensive scan read by an experienced radiologist, I think recommending Carnival's scanners would be the way to go. After all, with X-Ray machines and screeners able to detect things medicine can only dream about, it's probably cheaper for patients just to follow their checked luggage through the Carnival screening process.;)

As a nurse, you are certainly aware of the difference between a scanner used for medical purposes one used to detect explosives, liquids, weapons and other contraband.....right?????:eek:

I think the upgraded equipment came from the not so substansiated thread out of Miami. Claims were they were xraying and catching EVERYONE's alcohol.

The thread moved toward xray capabilities, yada yada yada.

I believe Carnival may be taking a harder stance, I no way will ever believe they are catching it all, or even trying to. At the end of the day, I think they will find expending resources just isn't worth the reward.

We all have to remember that cruisecritic is a very small % of cruising passengers. I would be surprised if even more than 35% to 45% of a ship's passengers are trying to smuggle on.

I guess I could be completely off. It just seems to me that a majority of fist time cruisers wouldn't be doing too much of it and a lot of others simply budget their booze into the entire cost and don't even bother bringing their own. There are also the many who don't even drink or enjoy only a few the entire week.

It never even occurred to me that anyone would smuggle alcohol onto a cruise ship. I read through Carnival's website and was pleasantly surprised that you could even bring 1 wine. Alcohol is prohibited...

But then I read all about smuggling booze here on CC. Am I the only one? Doubt it!

To answer the OP's question,

Well usually some fuddy duddy troll comes on here with their fire and brimstone "I'm better than you" posts. Then another member retaliates. The thread escalates and then "POOF" the thread is gone. Then the fuddy duddy goes trolling for a new thread and a new unsuspecting member. After all that's what a troll does.

To figure out the multiquote button?? Someone was nice enough to explain it to you yesterday or are you truly just trying to run up your post count??:rolleyes:

As a nurse' date=' you are certainly aware of the difference between a scanner used for medical purposes one used to detect explosives, liquids, weapons and other contraband.....right?????:eek:[/quote']

Cruise critic represents less than 1% of cruisers......If you frequent other forums' date=' you'll see more.....but don't stay away...CC is still the best.[/quote']

yea, but we still get a sampling of whats going on, and the point i'm getting at is there has been such a frenzy over this for the past few weeks, but there are not many coming back on here to verify that it has changed.

To answer the OP's question,

Well usually some fuddy duddy troll comes on here with their fire and brimstone "I'm better than you" posts. Then another member retaliates. The thread escalates and then "POOF" the thread is gone. Then the fuddy duddy goes trolling for a new thread and a new unsuspecting member. After all that's what a troll does.

so are saying G'ma is going to cause this thread to disappear? lol.;)

Reasonable people will believe you......smugglers will think your post is a hoax.

Different realities.......

the reason the post does not seem reliable is due to the fact that the OP says "everybody" had their booze confiscated. how can this one person even begin to make that statement without her agenda being front and center. arent there somewhere in the neighborhood of 3000 people on these ships? what did she do , stand by the booze room and count the number of people that left, then compared them to the census she took of how many people smuggled booze? and even if she did, there should still be a +/- 3% margin of error. so, no her post is not reliable to me, a smuggler.:rolleyes:

Archived